[beginner] Help with public key authentication

From: Francesco (fmarchioniNIENTESPAM_at_libero.it)
Date: 05/02/03

Date: Fri, 02 May 2003 13:07:35 GMT

Hi all,
I'm trying to configure OpenSSH on Linux to use public keys instead of
password.

I have configured sshd property file these lines uncommenting:

RSAAuthentication yes
AuthorizedKeysFile .ssh/authorized_keys
PasswordAuthentication no

I have copied my public key on the remote computer
($HOME/.ssh/authorized_keys)
but I get only "Permission denied (publickey,keyboard-interactive)".
when I try to ssh on the remote account. (By the way I also tried launching
ssh-agent and ssh-add [key] as suggested on the tutorials but it doesn't
work...)

Here's a snap of the ssh log:
Hope somebody helps me
thanks a lot
Francesco

debug1: Applying options for *
debug1: Rhosts Authentication disabled, originating port will not be
trusted.
debug1: ssh_connect: needpriv 0
debug1: Connecting to acer [10.12.59.60] port 22.
debug1: Connection established.
debug1: identity file /home/Francesco/.ssh/identity type 0
debug1: identity file /home/Francesco/.ssh/id_rsa type -1
debug1: identity file /home/Francesco/.ssh/id_dsa type 2
debug1: Remote protocol version 1.99, remote software version OpenSSH_3.4p1
debug1: match: OpenSSH_3.4p1 pat OpenSSH*
Enabling compatibility mode for protocol 2.0
debug1: Local version string SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_3.4p1
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT sent
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT received
debug1: kex: server->client aes128-cbc hmac-md5 none
debug1: kex: client->server aes128-cbc hmac-md5 none
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_REQUEST sent
debug1: expecting SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_GROUP
debug1: dh_gen_key: priv key bits set: 147/256
debug1: bits set: 1619/3191
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_INIT sent
debug1: Host 'acer' is known and matches the RSA host key.
debug1: Found key in /home/Francesco/.ssh/known_hosts:1
debug1: bits set: 1552/3191
debug1: kex_derive_keys
debug1: newkeys: mode 1
debug1: SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS sent
debug1: waiting for SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS
debug1: newkeys: mode 0
debug1: SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS received
debug1: done: ssh_kex2.
debug1: send SSH2_MSG_SERVICE_REQUEST
debug1: service_accept: ssh-userauth
debug1: got SSH2_MSG_SERVICE_ACCEPT
debug1: authentications that can continue: publickey,keyboard-interactive
debug1: next auth method to try is publickey
debug1: try privkey: /home/Francesco/.ssh/id_rsa
debug1: try pubkey: /home/Francesco/.ssh/id_dsa
debug1: authentications that can continue: publickey,keyboard-interactive
debug1: next auth method to try is keyboard-interactive
debug1: authentications that can continue: publickey,keyboard-interactive
debug1: no more auth methods to try
Permission denied (publickey,keyboard-interactive).
debug1: Calling cleanup 0x8068fc0(0x0)
lost connection

Relevant Pages

  • Re: [beginner] Help with public key authentication
    ... (from RH7.3 base install) ... > I'm trying to configure OpenSSH on Linux to use public keys instead of ... > debug1: Connection established. ... next auth method to try is publickey ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • configuring hostbased authentication
    ... indicate a configuration problem with machine1? ... debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config ... Remote protocol version 1.99, ... debug1: authentications that can continue: ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • ssh key authentication
    ... debug1: Rhosts Authentication disabled, ... Remote protocol version 2.0, ... The authenticity of host 'foo.com ' can't be established. ... debug1: authentications that can continue: publickey,keyboard-interactive ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Multiple forced commands being executed
    ... In essence, from what I can see, it isn't just executing the ... this is essentially the point of the forced commands. ... debug1: Authentication succeeded. ... debug1: Remote: Port forwarding disabled. ...
    (SSH)
  • Re: Multiple forced commands being executed
    ... executing the forced command for the key that is being used, ... debug2: channel 0: send open debug1: Requesting ... Remote: X11 forwarding disabled. ...
    (SSH)