Re: MIME/HTML mail, was Re: SSH tunneling / X forwarding

From: Richard E. Silverman (slade@shore.net)
Date: 04/01/03

From: slade@shore.net (Richard E. Silverman)
Date: 01 Apr 2003 02:16:12 -0500

    WP> My friends favorite newsgroup reader for the blind does an
    WP> excellent job turning simple text into speech, so that vision
    WP> impaired members may take part in the newsgroup productively.

See my previous response to Nico regarding this issue.

    WP> There are places and media where 'pretty pictures' and 'pretty
    WP> text' are part of the purpose, but they exclude all vision
    WP> impaired individuals.

Music excludes deaf audiences. Dance and painting exclude blind
audiences. But we don't decide not to compose or move or paint anymore
because some people unfortunately cannot participate. We continue to do
these things, and often go to some lengths to include disabled people
where possible -- for instance, signed interpretation of vocal music. In
the realm under discussion (again see my previous response), markup
languages have a much better potential for including people than does
"plain text."

--
  Richard Silverman
  slade@shore.net