Re: dlink router dropping ssh ?

From: Bipin Sehgal (bsehgal@uiuc.edu)
Date: 03/03/03

    From: bsehgal@uiuc.edu (Bipin Sehgal )
    Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2003 01:41:02 GMT

    In the last exciting episode Darren Tucker wrote:
    | In article <slrnb5puof.7p3.bsehgal@aa10.aae.uiuc.edu>,
    | Bipin Sehgal <bsehgal@uiuc.edu> wrote:
    | >I recently set up a home network using a dlink 604 router. After adding
    | >this router, my idle ssh connections keep getting disconnected. However
    | >if I keep some activity running on the connection, it stays alive. I
    | >have checked all settings on the router and there isn't any place to
    | >specify the idle timeout on the router.
    | >
    | >Does anyone know of a solution to fix this.
    |
    | That depends on which ssh implementation you're using. If it's
    | openssh:
    |
    | $ man sshd_config
    | [snip]
    | ClientAliveInterval
    | Sets a timeout interval in seconds after which if no data has
    | been received from the client, sshd will send a message through
    | the encrypted channel to request a response from the client. The
    | default is 0, indicating that these messages will not be sent to
    | the client. This option applies to protocol version 2 only.
    |
    | PuTTY can do this on the client side (Connection->Seconds between
    | keepalives)
    |
    | --
    | Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
    | GPG key 8FF4FA69 / D9A3 86E9 7EEE AF4B B2D4 37C9 C982 80C7 8FF4 FA69
    | Good judgement comes with experience. Unfortunately, the experience
    | usually comes from bad judgement.

    My router is doing NAT and does timeout inactive connections. The dlink
    customer support says that the connection timeout from ssh and telnet is
    7200 sec in the router. However, my connection disconnects within 15
    minutes. Also, I do not have access to the server's sshd configurations.
    I did set my tcp_keepalive_time to 500 seconds but this did not help.

    Thanks.
    Bipin