Re: Easier alternative to scp?

From: Sreenivas Devalla (sdevalla@yahoo.com)
Date: 02/26/03

    From: Sreenivas Devalla <sdevalla@yahoo.com>
    Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 08:21:58 GMT

    Other alternative is to use sftp. sftp is just like ftp but secure.
    Login once and keep the connection open until you finish your work. If
    you want to reuse the ssh connection for sftp also just do a "ssh port"
    (22) forwarding from your local machine to your remote just the way you
    are doing for the VNC. If there is already a ssh server running on
    your local machine forward another port (say 2200) to your remote
    machine port 22, pass this port to sftp as an option to open the
    connection..

       sftp -o Port=2200 127.0.0.1

    If you don't want to login everytime try ssh-agent.

    HTH
    -- Sreenivas

    Fred Ma wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm using openSSH with port forwarding
    >
    > ssh -L XXXX:localhost:YYY RemoteUserID@RemoteMachine
    >
    > This is used for VNC, a kind of windowing environment.
    > I use that to connect to solaris machines, either from
    > another solaris machine, or from cygwin on a PC.
    >
    > Whenever I want to copy files, I open another ssh channel
    > using scp. Then I have to enter the full path of the
    > file at the remote side, as well as my user ID and machine.
    > I also wait a few seconds to enter a password (to decrypt
    > to local key, I think). All this is nice, but it sure would be
    > even nicer if I didn't have to do that everytime I want to
    > transfer a few files. Since I already have a connection
    > open opened from above, is there a way to simply make
    > use of that connection to do my file copy?
    >
    > If this is in the man page somewhere, I'd appreciate a
    > pointer; I alreay took a quick look at the agents man
    > page, and it isn't obvious whether that's the right thing.
    > From past experience, understanding the ssh man
    > pages can take weeks or months of research (I have a
    > laptop, always encounter different surprises depending
    > on where I'm at and where I want to connect to). Thanks.
    >
    > Fred

    Relevant Pages

    • UPDATE: Re: Question regarding SSH via Lantronix SCS100
      ... to do SSH and to authenticate the SSH connection with a local ... unexpectedly closed connection'. ... CONSOLE or AUX port on the router, or does it matter, and what ...
      (comp.dcom.sys.cisco)
    • Re: SSH options re: NAT
      ... No, SSH is two-fold, a call to it on the client side results in a call ... port, meaning that any connections that come into that port are answered ... programming practice for daemons) Once the connection is established, ... don't want to execute a command on the remote side and you use -N. ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • Re: OpenSSH remote port forwarding
      ... use an outgoing SSH connection from here to the Internet... ... Incoming SSH it is possible and it is working. ... > I read many docs on the OpenSSH port forwarding, ... > (this command should open an ssh connection to public-machine and there, ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • Re: SFTP
      ... > avoid port transient net devices dropping port 22 ... Port 21 is allocated for FTP, not SSH. ... SSH connection. ... Do not get it mixed up with FTPS. ...
      (SSH)
    • Re: SSH tunneling/port forwarding and stateful packet inspection
      ... > have reconfigured SSH to run over port 443 the trace shows it as SSL ... Your packet trace identifies the TCP connection as ...
      (comp.security.ssh)