tunnel to remote localhost?

From: Phil R Lawrence (prlawrence@lehigh.edu)
Date: 01/23/03

From: Phil R Lawrence <prlawrence@lehigh.edu>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 16:03:23 -0500

BACKGROUND:
Given a tunnel from a client machine:
$ ssh -f -l username -L 1666:server.machine:1666 server.machine

the subsequent use of localhost:1666 on the client results in packets
going to server.machine:1666 as though they had originated on
server.machine.

QUESTION:
Is it possible to make these packets go to localhost:1666 on the server
machine?

APPLICATION:
reaching a remote server that listens only to 127.0.0.1:1666 instead of
to *:1666

Thanks,
Phil R Lawrence

Relevant Pages

  • Re: iptables + openvpn + masquerading
    ... trace the public IP address of the remote Server (the one with tunnel ... Iptables's SNAT or MASQUERADE are not an option because rules in the 'nat' tables see only packets in the state NEW which create a new connection, whereas ICMP "TTL exceeded" packets sent by intermediate nodes in a traceroute are in the state RELATED. ... Changing the default source address for the default route would affect all outgoing packets, ... Then you would have to do source-based routing in order to route such packets back to the tunnel. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Creating remote objects
    ... I know how to create a DCOM object on a remote server using CreateObject ... the object has to be registered on the client machine. ... instead of a name to create the remote object without a registry entry ... Does anybody have a way of doing this in VBA? ...
    (microsoft.public.excel.programming)
  • Re: Socket Send - Seperate Packets for Each buffer
    ... This appears to be a default behaviour of TCPIP? ... > I am attempting to send 1000 TCPIP packets to a remote sever with only ... > So at my remote server I wish to receive 1000 packets each with a ...
  • VPN Packet Loss - Secure Platform w/App Intelligence
    ... Site-to-site VPN consisting of a Secure Platform ... needs to access resources in Site A, so it has not been reported yet. ... the MTU on a client machine to 1428 or lower has proved UNsuccessful. ... If anyone has any ideas as to why packets are getting lost, ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: 2.4.21, NFS v3, and 3com 920
    ... > 8 M/s to other machines from the client machine. ... things go horribly wrong and many packets ... Basically, you end up with one end thinking it's full duplex, ... send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in ...
    (Linux-Kernel)