Re: sshd for windows giving always invalid passwd

From: Nico Kadel-Garcia (nkadel@bellatlantic.net)
Date: 01/18/03

From: "Nico Kadel-Garcia" <nkadel@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 22:00:03 GMT

"Sebastian Wain" <sebastian_wain@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:93d100c1.0301170435.3eb1d80d@posting.google.com...
> Hello, I installed the cygwin distribution on a Windows NT
> Workstations and Windows 2000 Advanced Server to use mainly the sshd
> server.
>
> After configuring it and running sshd (as daemon, not as service) I
> couldn't login, if I read the /etc/passwd I only noted blank passwords
> or "unused_by_nt/2000/xp".
> I tried to change the password with the passwd command without any
> result.
>
> A few questions:
> - Someone knows about this problem and how to solve it?
> - Where sshd looks for the passwords?

Create an SSH key, in ~username/.ssh/authorized_keys, make sure your sshd is
running, and make sure that your sshd_config is set up to allow remote
access. Rely on SSH keys, not local system passwords.

Relevant Pages

  • sshd for windows giving always invalid passwd
    ... I installed the cygwin distribution on a Windows NT ... Workstations and Windows 2000 Advanced Server to use mainly the sshd ... After configuring it and running sshd ... Where sshd looks for the passwords? ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: sshd for windows giving always invalid passwd
    ... May the problem be permission related using FAT filesystem on Windows ... >> After configuring it and running sshd ... if I read the /etc/passwd I only noted blank passwords ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: Attempt to breakin
    ... >>2) Lock out direct root logins, require people to come in as a normal ... Nobody can guess passwords if sshd won't accept passwords ... >> off or add deny entries in hosts.allow to block access to sshd from ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: native port of sshd for windows
    ... > Does a native port of SSHD (the server, ... You can run the cygwin sshd from a DOS/command shell line rather than ... I had it running on Windows ME by having a BAT file launch it ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: ssh connections getting thru closed port
    ... >> when port 22 is closed? ... I used to get ALOT of sshd attacks in my logs, ... Since that time, I've moved sshd off port 22, disabled password logins in ... MS09-99896 - Vulnerability in All MS Windows OS ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)