sshd for windows giving always invalid passwd

From: Sebastian Wain (sebastian_wain@hotmail.com)
Date: 01/17/03

From: sebastian_wain@hotmail.com (Sebastian Wain)
Date: 17 Jan 2003 04:35:53 -0800

Hello, I installed the cygwin distribution on a Windows NT
Workstations and Windows 2000 Advanced Server to use mainly the sshd
server.

After configuring it and running sshd (as daemon, not as service) I
couldn't login, if I read the /etc/passwd I only noted blank passwords
or "unused_by_nt/2000/xp".
I tried to change the password with the passwd command without any
result.

A few questions:
- Someone knows about this problem and how to solve it?
- Where sshd looks for the passwords?

Thank You
Sebastian Wain

--
http://swain.webframe.org

Relevant Pages

  • Re: sshd for windows giving always invalid passwd
    ... I installed the cygwin distribution on a Windows NT ... > Workstations and Windows 2000 Advanced Server to use mainly the sshd ... > After configuring it and running sshd ... if I read the /etc/passwd I only noted blank passwords ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: sshd for windows giving always invalid passwd
    ... May the problem be permission related using FAT filesystem on Windows ... >> After configuring it and running sshd ... if I read the /etc/passwd I only noted blank passwords ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: Attempt to breakin
    ... >>2) Lock out direct root logins, require people to come in as a normal ... Nobody can guess passwords if sshd won't accept passwords ... >> off or add deny entries in hosts.allow to block access to sshd from ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: native port of sshd for windows
    ... > Does a native port of SSHD (the server, ... You can run the cygwin sshd from a DOS/command shell line rather than ... I had it running on Windows ME by having a BAT file launch it ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: ssh connections getting thru closed port
    ... >> when port 22 is closed? ... I used to get ALOT of sshd attacks in my logs, ... Since that time, I've moved sshd off port 22, disabled password logins in ... MS09-99896 - Vulnerability in All MS Windows OS ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)