Re: Port forwarding through SOCKS server (SSH tunneling)

From: Patrick Van der Veken (patrick.vanderveken@hp.com)
Date: 01/09/03

From: "Patrick Van der Veken" <patrick.vanderveken@hp.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 10:28:37 +0100

"Dharma Fog" <DharmaFog@VirtualMachines.COM> wrote in message
news:3E1CB384.4F81ACF5@VirtualMachines.COM...
> Patrick Van der Veken wrote:
> [snip]
> > However what I cannot do is connecting through the SSH tunnel, ie
connecting
> > to port 5921 on my office PC. I can see the port is open as I can telnet
> > it without a connection failure. However, I get no output (RFB) from the
> > session.
> >
> > What's wrong here? Is the SOCKS server preventing me from using the
> > forwarded port? I have not experienced any problem with our SOCKS server
> > before. Is there any other way I could achieve this? If so, how to go
about
> > it?
>
> If you can connect with SSH over SOCKS to your machine at home - and
> if VNC doesn't require a UDP connection, then the problem is most likely
> that you're either forwarding the wrong ports or you're not not
> forwarding
> all the ports.
>
> Do a search on http://www.google.com for this group.

Hi Dharma,

To my knowledge VNC only uses 1 TCP port (unless you wish to use the Java
component, in that case it's 2). I have rechecked with the VNC over SSH
pages at AT&T (http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/sshvnc.html) and I am
simply following their setup. The only difference being that my initial SSH
connection gets SOCKSified.

Regards,

Pat

Relevant Pages

  • How did they get behind my NAT?
    ... this point I panicked and shutdown the VNC service ASAP. ... My question is how the attacker got to my VNC port! ... the internet through the router. ... client connection using local port number 5900 (which was also being ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Security Breached
    ... I have a typical home network that looks like this: ... on both the DMZ and port forward questions. ... I have the vnc port blocked at the router so I presumed it was safe to ... they done it port forwarding over SSH (if your assumption of only SSH ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Should I buy an older imac for my Grandma?
    ... a couple of weeks ago I finally got around to putting VNC Server ... At some point I'll probably protect it with SSH. ... Port forwarding port 22 through the router ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • UPDATE: Re: Question regarding SSH via Lantronix SCS100
    ... to do SSH and to authenticate the SSH connection with a local ... unexpectedly closed connection'. ... CONSOLE or AUX port on the router, or does it matter, and what ...
    (comp.dcom.sys.cisco)
  • Re: SSH options re: NAT
    ... No, SSH is two-fold, a call to it on the client side results in a call ... port, meaning that any connections that come into that port are answered ... programming practice for daemons) Once the connection is established, ... don't want to execute a command on the remote side and you use -N. ...
    (comp.security.ssh)