Re: VPN into PIX w/o cisco vpn client

From: Rodrick R. Brown (rrbrown@dcas.nyc.gov)
Date: 12/29/02

From: "Rodrick R. Brown" <rrbrown@dcas.nyc.gov>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2002 23:26:20 GMT

thanks for the respond you are correct this was posted to the wrong group
:-)

but your answers did give me a good basis on what direction I should look to
hopefully get this straightened out.

- RB

"Richard E. Silverman" <slade@shore.net> wrote in message

> RB> Hello I have recently been contracted to do some work for a client
> RB> and I need access the clients site via VPN using a proprietary VPN
> RB> client made by cisco the problem here is I only have unix machines
> RB> at home is it possible to configure my workstation talk to there
> RB> Cisco Pix 525 firewall via IPSEC/VPN w/o using this Cisco windows
> RB> only product ??
>
> RB> My local home firewall runs OpenBSD 3.2 and my workstation is a
> RB> FreeBSD 4.7 box
>
> This is off topic -- the subject of this newsgroup is SSH.
>
> Anyway -- it depends on what sort of VPN technique they're using. If it's
> pure IPSec, then certainly you can make OpenBSD and the Cisco
> interoperate; OpenBSD has IPSec in the kernel and IKE (isakmpd). If it's
> PPTP, then that's not usually secured via IPSec but rather uses its own
> (weak) security mechanisms. There are implementatinos of PPTP for Unix,
> e.g. poptop.
>
> If it's L2TP/IPSec, then you may be in trouble -- I don't know of a good
> free implementation of L2TP yet; there is the l2tpd project, but the last
> time I looked it was still pretty alpha and did not compile under
> OpenBSD. That may have changed though.
>
> --
> Richard Silverman
> slade@shore.net

Relevant Pages

  • RE: IPSEC VPN connection from client in SBS 2003 premium
    ... the IPSec protocol cannot pass through ISA if IPSec ... pass-through would not work in firewall client method. ... VPN scenario, between the remote client and the VPN gateway, all VPN ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: RRAS IPSec on W2003 Server behind NAT
    ... Clients are Windows XP SP2 or later and have found out that with SP2, ... Vista/7 clients to be able to connect to a Windows 2003 VPN server [not ... IPSec are appreciated ... either an issue in your VPN config on the server, and/or on the client. ...
  • Re: VPN problems
    ... If you are using the IPSec protocol, you need to know that IPSec cannot handle NAT. ... We are attempting to set up the ZyWALL to test the VPNs ... compatibility with the Windows VPN client inbuilt with XP Pro. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: VPN problems and Linksys BEFSR411????
    ... that we successfully use Nortel client software to connect to a Nortel ... Contivity switch using IPsec VPN from behind a linksys BEFSR41. ... If you're using the VPN client that comes with Windows, ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)