I can't connect, the window just closes

From: Jellby (jellby@yahoo.com)
Date: 12/17/02

From: Jellby <jellby@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 10:38:16 GMT

Hello,

I have a server which I can connect to from some computers, using putty. From some other computers (a couple, so far) I cannot, and I don't know why. Using putty the
window just closes before asking the login and password, the log says "connecting to xxx.xx.xx.xx" and nothing more. In the server I have iptables, but access from
these computers is allowed, I see the incoming connection and the answer, so the problem seems to be in the clients. I'm trying a simple ssh terminal connection, no X-
forwarding or fancy things, default putty configuration didn't work, copying the configuration (registry) from other working machine didn't work either. I tried with
ttssh/teraterm too, but the behaviour was similar: after introducing user and password (in a windows dialog, so I guess it's before connecting) the window remains "not
connected", this program works in the other working machines, though.
I don't know what the problem is, the problematic machines are running win98 (1st ed, I think), with no firewall, one of them is a fresh install. Both are in the same network
as the working machines... I'm just clueless. Does anyone have the slightest idea of what may be wrong here?

Thanks

Relevant Pages

  • What has control of my PCs?
    ... Make sure all the network settings for each computer ... Flush the DNS settings on the computers that don't work ... Reboot your cable modem to reassign ip addresses ... I also tried directly connecting one PC to ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: [SLE] how to connect two computers
    ... Maura Edeweiss Monville wrote: ... > My current problem is how to connect physically the two computers. ... >> How are you connecting from the desktop to the network? ... Where does the VPN terminate? ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: VNC thru VPN from Sonicwall to Netopia
    ... I'm assuming that you are connecting to your office through the ... Sonicwall VPN client first, which would make sense for a lot of ... > From home I can use VNC to remotely control office computers. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Help needed setting up network
    ... directly connect 2 computers together. ... connecting output signals on one computer to output signals on the other; ... Set up a "network shared" folder on both computers. ... passed by an ISP over the internet even if you were to connect things up ...
  • Logon problems connecting 2000 laptop and XP stationary
    ... connecting my work laptop to the other computers ... There are two computers running Win98 connected via a router. ... set to use a workgroup, and they can communicate and share a PPPoE ... The problem is with my work laptop, running Win2000, that I also want to ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.networking)