Re: Pscp - Protocol Error: Unexpected newline

From: JonB (jonb@cirris.com)
Date: 12/06/02

From: jonb@cirris.com (JonB)
Date: 6 Dec 2002 08:55:38 -0800

Darren Dunham <ddunham@redwood.taos.com> wrote:

> Does your account on the freebsd server send output when you log in?
> The account needs to not echo anything from the .profile or .login (or
> .cshrc) on scp connections...

Darren, thanks for the reply. I'm too new at this; I'm not
understanding what you are saying. How can I make sure none of the
.profile or .login junk is echoed on scp connections?

If I log in with putty I get a fairly normal looking login:

login as: USER
Sent username "USER"
USER@server.tld's password: (I enter it)

( then a "welcome" message is displayed - fairly large )

The putty event log looks fairly boring as it works its way to Session
Started.

If I use scp -v it all looks fairly boring until here:

debug1: Entering interactive session.
debug1: ssh_session2_setup: id 0
debug1: Sending command: scp -v -f somefile
debug1: channel request 0: exec
debug1: channel 0: open confirm rwindow 0 rmax 32768
mesg: ttyname: Operation not supported
protocol error: unexpected <newline>

If I pscp -v I get:

c:\blah> pscp -v USER@server.tld:somefile somefile.txt
Looking up host "server.tld"
Connecting to x.x.x.x port 22
Server version: SSH-1.99-OpenSSH_3.4p1 FreeBSD-20020702
We claim version: SSH-1.5-PuTTY-Release-0.53b
Using SSH protocol version 1
Received public keys
Host key fingerprint is:
   1024 blah blah blah
Encrypted session key
Using 3DES encryption
Trying to enable encryption...
Sent username "USER"
User@server.tld's password: (I type it in here)
Sending password with camouflage packets
Sent password
Authentication successful
Started session
Connected to server.tld

mesg: Fatal: Protocol error: Unexpected newline
Sent EOF message

Thanks for your help. Any ideas what I can do to track this down.
The odd part is WinSCP works.

Relevant Pages

  • Cisco IOS IPS issue
    ... connecting to an MPLS cloud with about 40 sites and on my Gi0/1 port I ... After enabling IPS on the Gi0/0 outbound interface, ... session thresholds are well below max connection limits. ... max-incomplete tcp connections per host is 100000. ...
    (comp.dcom.sys.cisco)
  • Re: Configure SBS Remote Desktop for one session ONLY, BUT not locking new connection attempts
    ... Sorry, Russ, but the /console switch only connects if the server ... I log on to my own session in the server, from another workstation, ... Once at the remote site, I figure I need access to some data that I ... connections limit (whenever you're able to connect with an already ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Concurrent connections for PIX
    ... > I'm aware that there can be multiple connections on a single website. ... I did not get a chance to measure & observe the problem, as the campus ... The other issue we had is with UDP. ... of a UDP 'session' is with simple timers. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: maximum number of sessions
    ... NAS and SAN storage devices generally run one of the free Linux ... that's also two connections. ... like to know why mapping to an ip address creates an additional session to ... We have 6 pcs connecting to a 7 pc we call our server. ...
  • Re: RWW - log off after timeout?
    ... There is software out there that does allow for multiple connections to XP ... doing something at the time of the logoff or if the session has just been ... really need a way to determine if the RWW part of the session has "timed ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)