Re: way too many sshd's running

From: gobo (gobo20@lycos.com)
Date: 11/20/02

From: gobo20@lycos.com (gobo)
Date: 20 Nov 2002 12:20:56 -0800

no one is logged in with ssh when this is occuring (only me at the console.)
if i run sshd in debug mode, it won't fork another process, it hangs with:
debug1: waiting for SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS.

well, it used to. i changed something and that has now changed to:
debug1: waiting for SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS
debug1: newkeys: mode 0
debug1: SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS received
debug1: KEX done
Read from socket failed: Connection reset by peer
debug1: Calling cleanup 0x8068aa8(0x0)

Susan Cordova <scordova2@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<3DDAE386.98D2AD2E@earthlink.net>...
> You have one parent sshd running. Everytime someone connects via ssh,
> another sshd process is spawn. This is while you see so many sshd's
> running. To verify, type 'who' to see how many people are logged in. If
> you kill these sshd's you are closing connection to the person logged in
> with that process.
>

> gobo wrote:
>
> > upgraded from 3.1p1 to 3.5p1, had all the usual problems with
> > hosts.allow, etc. now, i can log in with ssh for windows and use a
> > passphrase -- sometimes. most times i get the "connection closed"
> > from the server message. if i keep at it i'll get a passphrase box
> > and i'm in. same series of events when using just password auth. when
> > i do get in and look at the processes running, there will be a screen
> > full (or more) of /usr/local/sbin/sshd running. kill em off or
> > reboot; sometimes i get in first try and there will be only two sshd's
> > running, ok. log out and it starts all over again. i don't have a
> > clue. any ideas?
> >
> > openssh 3.5p1
> > slackware 7.1
> >
> > gobo

Relevant Pages

  • Re: ssh going zombie
    ... on the server kill the ssh server then restart it with the -d flag to put ... it into debug mode. ... and the ssh process hogs the processor on the server. ... subprocess is removed from the sshd config file the a sub sshd process ...
    (SSH)
  • ssh (sometimes) refused from subnet
    ... Not sure whether this is an ssh issue or my network is misconfigured, ... This is the only client on the subnet. ... debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh_config ... sshd version 1.2.27 ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: Cant login to an OS X box using ssh
    ... using sshd -d which seems to be more helpful than ssh -d5 or any level ... verbose mode on the client side. ... debug1: read PEM private key done: type RSA ... SSH Secure Shell ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: Unable to use sftp with root account
    ... If you are using default init with enpty options then sshd reads the configuration ... debug1: Authentication succeeded. ... At this point you did login in ssh with sucess. ... Something is breaking the ssh protocol when your root environment ...
    (Debian-User)
  • SSH / PRIV SEP / LINUX issue
    ... I am facing a weird problem with ssh daemon on linux ... The ssh client cannot connect, it goes into cleanup and exits. ... compiled sshd the code runs OK. ... debug1: read PEM private key done: type RSA ...
    (SSH)