Re: way too many sshd's running

From: Susan Cordova (scordova2@earthlink.net)
Date: 11/20/02

    From: Susan Cordova <scordova2@earthlink.net>
    Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 17:21:10 -0800

    You have one parent sshd running. Everytime someone connects via ssh,
    another sshd process is spawn. This is while you see so many sshd's
    running. To verify, type 'who' to see how many people are logged in. If
    you kill these sshd's you are closing connection to the person logged in
    with that process.

    gobo wrote:

    > upgraded from 3.1p1 to 3.5p1, had all the usual problems with
    > hosts.allow, etc. now, i can log in with ssh for windows and use a
    > passphrase -- sometimes. most times i get the "connection closed"
    > from the server message. if i keep at it i'll get a passphrase box
    > and i'm in. same series of events when using just password auth. when
    > i do get in and look at the processes running, there will be a screen
    > full (or more) of /usr/local/sbin/sshd running. kill em off or
    > reboot; sometimes i get in first try and there will be only two sshd's
    > running, ok. log out and it starts all over again. i don't have a
    > clue. any ideas?
    >
    > openssh 3.5p1
    > slackware 7.1
    >
    > gobo

    Relevant Pages

    • Re: How to use expect in local machine?
      ... I understand we have to spawn a process to interact with it using ... I had been spawing ssh and running several commands in the remote ... My objecitve is to run serious of command in local machine and get the ... expect -re $prompt ...
      (comp.lang.tcl)
    • Re: Using Ssh, How To See Server Specification
      ... > ssh i could change it to 1GB? ... You have to create a new swap file. ... How can I verify if those are up to date or not? ... > how to install them, but, i do not know how to uninstall default Red ...
      (alt.os.linux.redhat)
    • Re: how to automate telnet thro expect cmd
      ... try using ssh as opposed to telnet. ... | eval spawn telnet ip ... GnuPG Key Fingerprint: ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)
    • Re: how to automate telnet thro expect cmd
      ... try using ssh as opposed to telnet. ... | eval spawn telnet ip ... GnuPG Key Fingerprint: ...
      (comp.os.linux)
    • Re: Tightening SSH access
      ... > like SSH to verify that the connection comes from the owner of the ...
      (comp.os.linux.security)