way too many sshd's running

From: gobo (gobo20@lycos.com)
Date: 11/18/02

From: gobo20@lycos.com (gobo)
Date: 18 Nov 2002 14:35:49 -0800

upgraded from 3.1p1 to 3.5p1, had all the usual problems with
hosts.allow, etc. now, i can log in with ssh for windows and use a
passphrase -- sometimes. most times i get the "connection closed"
from the server message. if i keep at it i'll get a passphrase box
and i'm in. same series of events when using just password auth. when
i do get in and look at the processes running, there will be a screen
full (or more) of /usr/local/sbin/sshd running. kill em off or
reboot; sometimes i get in first try and there will be only two sshd's
running, ok. log out and it starts all over again. i don't have a
clue. any ideas?

openssh 3.5p1
slackware 7.1

gobo

Relevant Pages

  • Re: gnugpg question
    ... > key pair to successfully encrypt and decrypt on the box I created it. ... > export the key pair and import it into the pgp tools on a windows box. ... > passphrase was incorrect. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Passphrases in Windows ??
    ... > You can use long passwords though, my password on one of my secure Windows ... > Servers is actually a passphrase that is about 50 characters long. ... > Joe Richards Microsoft MVP Windows Server Directory Services ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • [Full-disclosure] Windows XP Home LSA secrets stores XP login passphrase in plain text
    ... OK, I setup Windows XP Home, did the regular securing up, like for example setting that users must use passwords and usernames to sign in, use control+alt+delete to sign in, disabled automatic login to Windows etc. etc. Rebooted, changed my account X passphrase, then rebooted again. ... Then I signed in to other admin level account and ran Cain & Abel and used it to dump LSA secrets...wellwellwell...Windows stores my account X Windows XP login passphrase in plaintext in DefaultPassword field! ... My Windows XP should NOT store any Windows passphrases in clear text on the hdd, but only stores the passphrases hash...UNLESS specific settings are set. ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: "New powers for police to hack your PC"
    ... It also runs on Windows, but one cannot be certain Windows doesn't ... use a keyfile together with your passphrase. ... If plod/MI5 perform a dawn raid to grab your PC, ...
    (uk.legal)
  • Re: "New powers for police to hack your PC"
    ... It also runs on Windows, but one cannot be certain Windows ... a keyfile together with your passphrase. ... If plod/MI5 perform a dawn raid to grab your PC, ...
    (uk.legal)