Re: OpenSSH and hostname resolution issues on Solaris

From: Nico Kadel-Garcia (nkadel@bellatlantic.net)
Date: 11/08/02

From: "Nico Kadel-Garcia" <nkadel@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 23:35:30 GMT

"Mike Forey" <mike@lovecats.net> wrote in message
news:aqejbs$9cul5$1@ID-144927.news.dfncis.de...
> "Hannu Liljemark" <liljis@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Is it a feature or a configuration error with OpenSSH when
> > sshd refuses to answer, if you have DNS configured via
> > /etc/resolv.conf and /etc/nsswitch.conf but the nameservers
> > are not available (due to firewalling, for example)?
> >
> > Worst case the machine never gets past starting sshd during
> > boot, but usually you "just" can't reach the machine with ssh.
> > The OpenSSH in question is anything from ~2.9 to 3.5p1,
> > compiled with tcp_wrappers and sshd: ALL in hosts.allow (if
> > that matters). OS is Solaris 8, but I think we've had it in
> > Sol7 as well.
> >
> > Some answers that turn up when browsing list archives
> > seem to discuss misconfigured reverse-dns combined with
> > all: PARANOID in hosts.deny but we haven't used the
> > paranoid stuff. Sometimes the DNS is just out of reach and
> > that's when things start going wrong.
> >
> > Some simple solution for the problem we've haven't
> > noticed?
>
> you could try starting sshd with the-u0 flag to prevent it trying to
resolve
> the IP

That was it! "-u0"! The documentation mentions nowhere that this prevents
reverse DNS lookups from being done.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: OpenSSH and hostname resolution issues on Solaris
    ... if you have DNS configured via ... > Worst case the machine never gets past starting sshd during ... > The OpenSSH in question is anything from ~2.9 to 3.5p1, ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • OpenSSH and hostname resolution issues on Solaris
    ... Is it a feature or a configuration error with OpenSSH when ... Worst case the machine never gets past starting sshd during ... The OpenSSH in question is anything from ~2.9 to 3.5p1, ... PARANOID in hosts.deny but we haven't used the ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: cannot ssh into a box with DHCP assigned IP address
    ... Ok I think you've got a DNS resolution problem here, ... SSHD tries to resolve your client's hostname. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: sshd boot-time delay
    ... Could somebody please remind me how to get rid of the boot-time delay ... when sshd starts! ... I suspect this is something to do with sshd's relation to DNS, ... sendmail enabled on a network with crappy reverse DNS resolving ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)
  • Re: ssh only with internet connection?
    ... > I have experienced quite a strange behavior of sshd that I'd like to fix ... > to the Internet via ADSL. ... Box A is configured as a DNS server, ... > connection is down, ssh stops working. ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)