Re: Internet file transfers: SCP, SFTP, or PGP ?

From: steve (stevedufrane@excite.com)
Date: 11/04/02

From: stevedufrane@excite.com (steve)
Date: 4 Nov 2002 07:57:49 -0800

tim_maletic@yahoo.com (Tim Maletic) wrote in message news:<a3e0eccd.0210301049.1550f14c@posting.google.com>...
> stevedufrane@excite.com (steve) wrote in message news:<933e70f5.0210230349.38fa7798@posting.google.com>...
> > Greetings, I am looking for the most painless, cost effective, and
> > secure method..therefore what are the real issues with internet file
> > transfers..perhaps some basic pros/cons on these options. From what I
> > have read the issues are:
> >
> > 1- SCP requires the same version of SSH on both ends to work for any
> > single transfer
> > 2- SFTP requires SSH 2.0 on both ends to work for any single transfer
> > 3- PGP over FTP can leave a PGP password exposed on your FTP server
> >
> > Does anyone have any other ideas/comments on this ? I am opting for
> > #2 b/c most everybody is FTP server ready..
>
> Your last sentence seems to imply that being "FTP server ready" means
> you are SFTP-capable, which is false. Perhaps you mean "most
> everybody is familiar with FTP commands"?
>
> If you use PGP, don't use passwords, use public keys. See this
> article for more details:
> http://www.infosecuritymag.com/2002/jun/techtalk.shtml.
>
> -Tim

Is it overkill to use PGP and then transfer with SCP, the thought
being the file will sit encrypted on the file server once it gets
their so it might as well be encrypted also... ? thanks

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Internet file transfers: SCP, SFTP, or PGP ?
    ... > 2- SFTP requires SSH 2.0 on both ends to work for any single transfer ... > 3- PGP over FTP can leave a PGP password exposed on your FTP server ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: Help with slow transfers from pc to pc
    ... > The network cards are 10/100 Mb. ... I feel that file tranfers between the ... I blame the ftp server software. ... So I use scp and get 10x the throughput. ...
    (alt.os.linux.redhat)
  • Re: Internet file transfers: SCP, SFTP, or PGP ?
    ... >> If you use PGP, don't use passwords, use public keys. ... It's not so clear how far SCP gets you ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: multihost master.passwd sync
    ... > Why not just preconfigure SSH keys between the boxes and scp the file across? ... > Seems like a lot of extra work to bring PGP into the mix. ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)