PuTTY with HTTP Proxy

From: Christopher Stookey (christopher.stookey@wellsfargo.com)
Date: 10/17/02

From: christopher.stookey@wellsfargo.com (Christopher Stookey)
Date: 17 Oct 2002 12:05:59 -0700

Please redirect me if this question has been entered elsewhere.

I am on a Windows 2000 platform and I am attempting to use PSFTP to do
a file transfer through an HTTP proxy. I have set up a saved session
in PuTTY (version 0.53) and am calling the session via the command
line:

psftp [username]@[sessionname] -v

The message returned is:

Looking up host "[host.name]"
ssh_init: Host does not exist

In the saved session I have the following options set:

Session Panel
-------------
Port: 22
Protocol: SSH
Host name is specified.

Proxy Panel
-----------
Proxy Type: HTTP
Port: 80
Proxy host name is specified.
Username and Password are set.

It looks like the PuTTY session is ignoring my proxy information and
looking for the host name inside the firewall (which, of course, it
can't find). Is this what is happening? Or have I missed something?

I have been able to configure another secure FTP program to go through
the proxy server on port 80, so I know that it is possible.

Any help you can give would be great. Thanks!

Christopher Stookey
christopher.stookey@wellsfargo.com
My opinions are my own and do not reflect the opinions of Wells Fargo.

Relevant Pages

  • RE: How does that tcp traffic work
    ... How does that tcp traffic work ... The server will also pick an available port, ... session use the port that it's listening for the tcp ... For example, host A is a client, host B is a webserver ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: Redirecting all Outgoing http traffic to an internal Web server
    ... that any traffic or traffic from specific vlans on port 80 or port ... 8080 (depending on whats your proxy port) be forwarded to the proxy ip ... a mask for the destination to be matched. ... find the host offset within the network, ...
    (comp.dcom.sys.cisco)
  • Re: another stupid question.
    ... Someone is connecting to the proxy on your host and attempting to ... connect to a mail server on port 25; they could then send out spam from ... blamed for spam, and blacklisted. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • How does that tcp traffic work
    ... I know this is a bit of a networking question more than a redhat ... session use the port that it's listening for the tcp ... For example, host A is a client, host B is a webserver ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: How does that tcp traffic work
    ... For each session the server fork() the request and give them a id ... For data arriving at port 80 the server check the process id ... For example, host A is a client, host B is a webserver ...
    (RedHat)