Re: Is port forwarding as good as it sounds??

From: pmatt69 (pmatt69@hotmail.com)
Date: 05/28/02

From: "pmatt69" <pmatt69@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 12:45:14 -0400

Port forwarding should do what you want here, but why not run Apache on the
remote system on a port unavailable to the outside world? Then you can port
forward that port only, and use your local web browser. Chances are the
http traffic for phpMyAdmin is not as great as the backend traffic between
the web server and the database. You also gain the benefit of being able to
use phpMyAdmin at work, as well.

My $.02

Matt Pokress
"Wipe_out" <wipe_out@go.com> wrote in message
> Hi..
>
> So tell me is my logic correct??..If it is then port forwarding is one of
> the best ideas I have ever come across..
>
> Here is what I am trying to do..I have a mySQL server in the office that I
> want to work on from home using phpMyAdmin...
>
> If I am correct in this idea of port forwarding I can setup a web server
> here at home to run the php pages of phpMyAdmin and then setup port
> forwarding from my local system to the mySQL host in my office..that way
the
> only traffic going accross the internet will be the SQL quiries, which
will
> not require huge amounts of bandwidth, and these will be encrypted, so
will
> be secure...
>
> Is this a good solution to my problem of being able to administer the DB
> from home or is there a better way that I am missing? like a full VPN or
> somthing..
>
> Thanks..

Relevant Pages