Re: root can't run ssh commands on other server

From: Bill Unruh (unruh@string.physics.ubc.ca)
Date: 05/24/02

From: unruh@string.physics.ubc.ca (Bill Unruh)
Date: 24 May 2002 16:11:31 GMT

dwcasey@yahoo.com (dc) writes:

]OpenSSH 3.1p1

]I am trying to run a simple:

]# ssh server01 uptime

]And it's asking for a password?

]root@server01's password:
]Permission denied, please try again.
]root@server01's password:
]Permission denied, please try again.
]root@server01's password:
]Permission denied (publickey,password,keyboard-interactive,hostbased).

]The server I am trying to ssh to, server01, has these two entries for
]root access in the sshd_config:

]# root will no be permitted to log in interactively, but can run
]# commands remotely ...
]PermitRootLogin forced-commands-only
].
].
]#PermitRootLogin yes

]So I should be able to run commands only, just not login, right?
]That's all I'm trying to do.

I doubt that is your problem, but why not change that to
PermitRootLogin yes
and see if it works then. If it does not the problem is elsewhere. If it
does work then, then I guess you need to learn what forced-commands-only
means (I do not know).

Relevant Pages

  • Re: root cant run ssh commands on other server
    ... ]The server I am trying to ssh to, server01, has these two entries for ... ]root access in the sshd_config: ... ]PermitRootLogin forced-commands-only ...
    (comp.security.ssh)