Re: OpenSSH on Debian

From: Jan-Hendrik Palic (palic@billgotchy.de)
Date: 05/24/02

From: Jan-Hendrik Palic <palic@billgotchy.de>
Date: 24 May 2002 16:05:01 GMT

hi Marc

In article <1022257560.371638@news.kkf.net>, Marc Schönberg wrote:
> I was trying to install the latest version of OpenSSH on a Debian box for
> security reasons. Unfortunately I am not familiar with this distribution.
> The INSTALL file in th OpenSSH source directory tells me to pass on the
> location of the rsh file to the configure script. Well, I don't know where
> it is located in Debian, even a find command could not tell me.

What debian version do you use? If you using potato, I will advice yiou
to upgrade to woody.

In woody, there is ssh 3.0.2p1-9 included:
ii ssh 3.0.2p1-9 Secure rlogin/rsh/rcp replacement (OpenSSH).

You can install ssh with apt-get, the famous tool to install packages in
debian :)

Type "apt-get install ssh", and you will install OpenSSH ....

I use key-auth As authentification method for ssh, IMHO the most secure
method with disabling the password authentification.

        Regards
                Jan

--
One time, you all will be emulated by linux!

    ... > newsgroup for Debian ... > forward to install to your hard drive. ... > to install the Cygwin stuff on all my Windows boxes. ... like in an SSH client like PuTTY ?? ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Install Debian 4.0 to watch DVD video
    ... >>> If I want to another linux box connect to the Debian box using ssh, ... I see the ssh has ... >>> already in the debian box, but I guess it is the ssh client, not sshd. ... reinstall or better purge and install to recreate all missing config ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: trojaned SSHD ?
    ... I'd recommend moving to OpenSSH, which supports both ssh1 and ssh2 ... platforms, including Solaris. ... Information relevant to the installation of SSH on NCMIR systems. ... * Install Zlib 1.1.2 libraries, compiling from source, on Solaris and IRIX ...
    (Focus-SUN)
  • Re: SSH 3.0.2 wont install
    ... I have gotten openssh 3.1 to install and working ... Able to SSH in as any user from anyhere. ... # Kerberos TGT Passing only works with the AFS kaserver ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: Install Debian 4.0 to watch DVD video
    ... there was a dhclient3 running. ... The ssh client running fine. ... sshd running on the Debian. ... starbuck:~# apt-get install openssh-server ...
    (Debian-User)