Re: What SSH software should i use for VNC?

From: Jacques Distler (distler@golem.ph.utexas.edu)
Date: 06/17/02

From: Jacques Distler <distler@golem.ph.utexas.edu>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 01:10:30 -0500

In article <dV9P8.5107$VO4.155595@newsfep1-win.server.ntli.net>, Mun
<muneer_ilyas@ntlspamfreeworld.com> wrote:

>>What is the VNC client you're using? How does it work? Does
>>it operate via a separate TCP connection to the VNC server and just
>>happens to be a Java applet, or does it somehow connect back through HTTP?
>
>I'm not sure. I would be very greatful if you read the FAQs,
>(http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/faq.html) and this would help you answer
>my problem.

Why don't *you* read

    http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/sshvnc.html

and stop telling Richard he doesn't know what he's talking about?

He's trying to elicit some basic information which *might* help him
give you some useful advice.

In a nutshell, though, I doubt you could get ssh tunneling to work with
a java applet VNC client. SSH tunneling requires

    a) having an ssh client on the "client" machine and an ssh
      server running on the server side.
    b) the VNC client should connect to a local port on the "client"
       machine (which is "port-forwarded" using ssh to the VNC port
       on the server).

The latter point is problematic in your application. A Java applet,
typically, will not be able to make a TCP connection to any machine
other than the server from which it was fetched (for obvious security
reasons). I think that includes 127.0.0.1.

JD

--
PGP public key: http://golem.ph.utexas.edu/~distler/distler.asc