FTP over SSH: Can't build data connection

From: Dub (dub@latnet.lv)
Date: 06/14/02

From: dub@latnet.lv (Dub)
Date: 14 Jun 2002 10:07:52 -0700

Hi,

Probably, I don't understand something about SSH port forwarding. I'm
trying to establish FTP connection to my SSH host via encrypted link
(I use SecureCRT on client side, both remote and local port numbers
are set to 21).

I can log into the system, I can change working directories but that's
all. I can't neither get directory listing, nor get any file. UNIX
user permissions seem to be OK. Disabling TCP Wrappers also does not
help.

C:\>ftp 127.0.0.1
Connected to 127.0.0.1.
220 host1 FTP server (Digital UNIX Version 5.60) ready.
User (127.0.0.1:(none)): user1
331 Password required for user1.
Password:
230 User user1 logged in.
ftp> pwd
257 "/usr/home/company/user1" is current directory.
ftp> dir
200 PORT command successful.
425 Can't build data connection: Connection refused.
ftp> cd ..
250 CWD command successful.
ftp> ls
200 PORT command successful.
425 Can't build data connection: Connection refused.
ftp> pwd
257 "/usr/home/company" is current directory.
ftp>

Many thanks in advance for any ideas!

BR,
Dub

Relevant Pages

  • Re: FTP over SSH: Cant build data connection
    ... I don't understand something about SSH port forwarding. ... > trying to establish FTP connection to my SSH host via encrypted link (I ... > 425 Can't build data connection: ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: FTP over SSH: Cant build data connection
    ... I don't understand something about SSH port forwarding. ... > trying to establish FTP connection to my SSH host via encrypted link (I ... > 425 Can't build data connection: ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • RE: FTP Window of opportunity?
    ... target on the line when in reality it was just a firewall lying to them. ... The connection connects and then immediately ... Subject: FTP Window of opportunity? ... the FTP port shows up. ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • Re: Iptables FTP question
    ... think all other related would be from specific modules,the FTP and IRC ... Keep in mind that connection ... source port of 20 if it is for port mode data connections(for a standard ... I would also break down your rules into chains instead of appending such ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Passive means what during FTP?
    ... :227 Entering Passive Mode ... :ftp: connect: No route to host ... The FTP data transfer uses a connection that is separate from the ... address and port number to connect to for the data transfer. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)