Re: OpenSSH on Debian

From: Nico Kadel-Garcia (nkadel@bellatlantic.net)
Date: 05/25/02

From: "Nico Kadel-Garcia" <nkadel@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 03:02:42 GMT

"Jan-Hendrik Palic" <palic@billgotchy.de> wrote in message
news:slrnaesp9n.ra4.palic@gromitt.billgotchy.de...
> hi Marc
>
> In article <1022257560.371638@news.kkf.net>, Marc Schönberg wrote:
> > I was trying to install the latest version of OpenSSH on a Debian box
for
> > security reasons. Unfortunately I am not familiar with this
distribution.
> > The INSTALL file in th OpenSSH source directory tells me to pass on the
> > location of the rsh file to the configure script. Well, I don't know
where
> > it is located in Debian, even a find command could not tell me.
>
> What debian version do you use? If you using potato, I will advice yiou
> to upgrade to woody.
>
> In woody, there is ssh 3.0.2p1-9 included:

Which suffers from a local root exploit, unless the Debian maintainers have
patched the base OpenSSH code.

It's possible not to install rsh: I rip it out of every system I can, and
rebuild RPM's to use "--without-rsh" and eliminate the dependency.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: (Mishap?) upgrading from Woody to Etch
    ... I have had a Debian system working very well since 2003, ... which was Woody at the time. ... reinstalling etch. ... tried to install a piece of software using apt-get, ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: libXft from compiled X 4.3.0?
    ... The patched X binaries are just for Debian Sid/Sarge, ... Woody and I decided to run Woody to use the 7 CD's it comes on: ... > It should compile and install without a problem. ... I will try that and use it on the next install of Woody. ...
    (comp.os.linux.x)
  • Re: Im face Few problem , need suggestion
    ... you have to decide which version of Debian you want to use. ... which have those newer packages. ... You can also use a mixed system, by using Woody, but getting newer ... install Debian using 2.4.18-bf2.4. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: upgrading to a kernel-image - unresolved symbols
    ... > I'm new in both, this list and debian, i have installed debian 3.0r4 i ... Woody is one of the old versions of debian, ... kernel wasn't around when woody was released. ... i try to upgrade to a newer kernel so i install ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Debian woody or sarge?
    ... > month or two and am currently wondering whether to install woody or ... If you're new to Debian, I'd strongly suggest starting with the stable ... distribution (so, in this case, woody); if you decide it's too stale ... think I've seen an announcement yet naming a date for the sarge ...
    (Debian-User)