Re: opensshd-3.1p1 works on one machine, broken on the next...?

From: chris (cherbst@hotpop.com)
Date: 05/17/02

From: chris <cherbst@hotpop.com>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 14:43:06 -0400

On Wed, 15 May 2002 19:15:47 -0400, Archie Campbell wrote:

> Ssh compadres,
>
> Whatever can be the problem if I am suddenly able to login as root when
>
> PermitRootLogin no
> AND
> DenyUsers root

Wrong path for the config file? Try strings "sshd|grep etc/ssh|less" to see
where the binary is expecting to find it. Perhaps it was compiled to
look at /usr/local/etc/ssh, while you are looking at /etc/ssh.

Relevant Pages

  • SUMARY: Cant login as root
    ... As a result, i was not able to log in as root, neither create a new ... Asunto: RE: Can't login as root ... > console. ... > If we log as any other user everythig is ok, but we cannot either do su-. ...
    (Tru64-UNIX-Managers)
  • RE: Urgent help needed with Login problems after installation of FC1
    ... symptom trying to su back to root. ... After another minimal install, I was able to add my user and su to it and su ... I was unable to boot using the boot floppy. ... I did a minimal install and was able to login as root, ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: BSM, SSH, and Session ID
    ... Are you logging in as root through ssh or is that just the way it is ... Sun SSH/OpenSSH should fork off before the login because the sshd ... It should always be a different session, ...
    (Focus-SUN)
  • Re: i can not log as a root
    ... >> how i can log as a user but not as a root. ... > Problem seems to be with the X session not your login but we'll try a few ... > select the OS/kernel that you boot to, ... > Looks like something is wrong with your Xsessions script or one of the ...
    (linux.redhat)
  • Re: Urgent help needed with Login problems after installation of FC1
    ... login would do anything but loop back to the Login: ... >From Gnome desktop, I was able to logout user, login root, over and ... Am able to boot from floppy. ... >After another minimal install, I was able to add my user and su to ...
    (Fedora)