Disallow logins, but allow ftp?

From: Jeff Shipman - SysProg (jeff@nmt.edu)
Date: 04/19/02

From: Jeff Shipman - SysProg <jeff@nmt.edu>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 12:21:30 -0600

We have a machine that we would like to disallow
ssh logins, but allow sftp connections. Is there
a way to do this?

One word about our system:

Some people are allowed to login to the machine
(through the console) and they have valid shells.
However, all other users have their shell set
to a shell that simply displays the fact that they
cannot login and logs the user out.

I'm not sure how that will affect how this can
be done. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

--
Jeff Shipman           E-Mail: jeff@nmt.edu
Systems Programmer     Phone: (505) 835-5748

Relevant Pages

  • RE: SSH Tunneling without console login
    ... > that the command will also login onto PC2. ... > not give a shell prompt, ... I only need SSH ... > tunneling purposes, i login to the remote server ...
    (SSH)
  • Environment Poisoning and login -p
    ... login -p can be used to propagate environment flags ... in order to trojan the user shell of the target account. ... I will note that in -CURRENT, both "nologin" and /bin/sh ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)
  • Re: $PATH and /etc/profile
    ... If you run startx ... >> starting X from a login shell. ... > to detach from the console and allow you to continue working on the ... how to propery setup their shell environment. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: xsession file
    ... The login managersxdm and kdm do not run a login shell, so .profile, ... In that xsession file load *the same shell* as your ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: change $PATH system-wide?
    ... Xsession script uses /bin/sh and does not know what shell you will be ... To set PATH at the graphical login you should put it in your ... environment scripts or a bug with the selected window manager. ...
    (Debian-User)