Re: .bashrc not executed

From: Michael Heiming (michael+USENET@heiming.de)
Date: 04/13/02

From: Michael Heiming <michael+USENET@heiming.de>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 09:35:11 +0200

Richard E. Silverman (<m1lwuvcut97.fsf@syrinx.oankali.net>):

> RM> On all my accounts, I have bash as my shell. When I use
> ssh to RM> log in to an account, I find that my .bash_profile
> file is
> RM> executed, but not my .bashrc. Can someone explain how
> this could RM> be?
>
> Because that's what it's supposed to do. Read the bash man page
> for details.

Sure, try 'man bash', '/^INVOCATION'

Michael Heiming

--
Remove the +SIGNS case mail bounces.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: tcsh is better for interactive use (Was: Bash command via ssh)
    ... In 1994 I was working on plenty of systems that didn't have bash or tcsh. ... The problem is that you need two useful ways of invoking a command ... Though that would be somewhat of a hack, ssh could simply make this distinction ... shell code, two or more arguments are strings to be passed to execv. ...
    (comp.unix.shell)
  • Re: setting defaults for system variables for users who SSH in to z/OS
    ... setting defaults for system variables for users who SSH in to z/OS ... It's a noninteractive shell. ... What if the user's preferred shell is not bash? ... user will need to exit twice to logoff, ...
    (bit.listserv.ibm-main)
  • Re: pkg_delete bash, logged out by accident, cant ssh back in (not good)
    ... Both use bash as default. ... ssh -t user@xxxxxxx /bin/sh works for me ... try to invoke default shell first to then execute what exec requests...) ... Use a different remote account with a different shell. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • (Unix) Login with ssh ... TERM not set.
    ... The account on the target machine I ssh into has sh as a default shell. ... I prefer bash, but don't want to manually invoke 'bash' every time I log in, ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: .bashrc not executed
    ... > On all my accounts, I have bash as my shell. ... When I use ssh ... but why bother since "man bash" has the explanation. ...
    (comp.security.ssh)