Re: x11 forwarding

From: Richard E. Silverman (
Date: 04/04/02

From: (Richard E. Silverman)
Date: 03 Apr 2002 23:04:46 -0500

    AD> hi, between my client and the remote machine is a ssh server
    AD> (openssh 3.x) with remote port forwarding enabled - i want to
    AD> forward the x11 traffic from the remote machine to my client via
    AD> the ssh server. is it possible to tunnel the x11 traffic between
    AD> the remote machine and my client only using ssh?

"client" = C
"SSH server" = S
"remote machine" = M

I assume SSH is not running on M, otherwise you wouldn't be asking this
question. Suppose you use rsh from S to M.

C% ssh -X S
S% echo $DISPLAY
S% xauth nlist $DISPLAY | rsh M xauth nmerge -
S% rsh M
M% setenv DISPLAY S:10
M% xeyes

All sorts of things might go wrong depending on the environment, but this
is the general idea. You'll need to set X11UseLocalhost=no in sshd_config
on S.

  Richard Silverman

Relevant Pages

  • Re: I do not get ssh. Why is it more secure?
    ... How is this any more secure that plain old telnet? ... And, well, I just don't get the advantage of ssh ... If you put your ssh server on port 12345, it will be free from attacks. ... SSH connections, in the hands of someone who actually knows what they are doing, have the benefit of treating a remote machine as a remote machine. ...
  • Re: sshd handing all authentication to shell
    ... >I would like to use SSH for transport only into an embedded device. ... >login/password authentication but since it is using SSH for transport, ... You don't state what SSH server you're planning to use, ... I believe that in principle a client should be able to request ...
  • Re: Remote Execution Through FTP
    ... > I need to send some file from my local machine to a remote machine ... > generation mechanism in SSH. ... then you can script this quite easily using public key's to authenticate. ... Make sure the permissions on the .ssh directory and all the files in it are ...
  • ssh -X woes
    ... With ssh on my Debian server I do not seem to be able to tunnel X back ... to the client (however, from the client I can successfully tunnel X back ... Here's the output from the remote machine: ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to ...
  • Re: Is SSH worth it??
    ... > We would be using SSH and SCP. ... SCP for automated scripts. ... > client will not be prompted for a password. ... remote machine, but imho it is better to swap client+server and give ...