Re: Sharing OpenSSH keypairs Windows <=> Unix

From: Simon Tatham (anakin@pobox.com)
Date: 04/03/02

    From: Simon Tatham <anakin@pobox.com>
    Date: 03 Apr 2002 09:08:15 +0100 (BST)

    Kenneth Simpson <ken@VirtualMachines.COM> wrote:
    > Hi - Putty stupidly puts "\n" characters in middle of the
    > key when it writes the public key to a file Windows machine.
    [...]
    > Remove the "BEGIN" and "END" lines and save the file. Then
    > cat <file> | tr -d '\n' > id_rsa.pub
    > and add
    > ssh-rsa
    > at the beginning for RSA.
    [...]
    > Then add it your ~/.ssh/authorized_keys2 file.

    Umm. Why are you taking the public key PuTTYgen outputs in ssh.com
    format and carefully converting it to OpenSSH format, when PuTTYgen
    also gives you the OpenSSH-format key directly in the copy-and-paste
    window?

    Seems like a massive waste of effort to me. *shrug*

    --
    Simon Tatham         "Every person has a thinking part that wonders what
    <anakin@pobox.com>    the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking about."

    Relevant Pages

    • Re: PEM_read_PrivateKey failed - many posts, but few answers.
      ... PuTTYgen can convert a PuTTY-format private key into an IETF-format ... public key, or even directly into OpenSSH format if you prefer. ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • Re: disks are hot hot hot
      ... What brand and model of heatsink do you use? ... Umm, to be honest, I'm not sure. ... You can get my public key from any of the ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: putty 0.56 and passwordless authentication to Solaris 9
      ... (I'm guessing that you want the OpenSSH format.) ... >Okay, ... pscp the public key to the server in question. ... It sounds like you generated a public key in the standard format ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • Re: SSH 2 and Putty
      ... >my keys are generated via the puttygen tool, i saved the private and ... >public key and i converted the key in openssh format. ...
      (comp.security.ssh)