Re: SSH server behind a firewall

From: Bogo@b.com
Date: 03/12/02

From: Bogo@b.com
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 22:05:01 GMT

I will, come May, have no physical access to the machine sitting
behind the firewall to open an ssh tunnel back home. I think that is
what you were talking about, and I don't think that will work.

Am I correct?

--James

On Tue, 12 Mar 2002 16:48:57 GMT, "smn" <smn@nospam.org> wrote:

>Interesting setup, but my office firewall is possibly more restrictive.
>Only port 21, 23, and 80 are allowed out. Established connections are
>allowed in. Which means at home I have sshd listen on the external
>interface on ports 22 and 23. As long as I can make an established TCP
>connection from behind the firewall to my home computer I can get back to
>the office.
>
>This is why my "tunnel" originates in the office and terminates at my home
>computer. Once that is done I can open an ssh session to the forwarded
>port on my home computer and communicate with the office computer.
>
>If only port 80 is open outbound you may be limited to something similar
>where sshd is listening at home on port 80. I don't see where you would
>have a problem if you established an ssh session from the office computer
>to home - that's *all you need* to start.
>
>- Scott

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Mac `owned in hacking competition
    ... the router's port forwarding rules. ... The firewall or a NAT router only stops connections initiated from ... ssh will let you set up forwarded ports in both ... You start an ssh session from the target machine (this is ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • RE: ssh attempts
    ... Change the port to something different than port 22. ... Subject: Re: ssh attempts ... > forget the excellent iptables firewall you probably already have on ... >>> Computer Emergency Response Teams, ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Reverse Shell?
    ... >> behind a firewall so I can't ssh into their computer. ... > follow the tunnel back to their machine and then help them. ... Connections to that port will be forwarded through the ...
    (Debian-User)
  • RE: Tunneling over ssh with termination by the FW
    ... I would use something like Putty (ssh client software) to open a secure ... tunnel with the firewall. ... If the firewall has the sshd running on port ...
    (SSH)
  • Re: need help for setting SSH Server for Windows XP
    ... In my windows firewall proper ports are opened. ... Changing from port 22 to ports 80, 443 also doesn't give any results. ... static LAN IP of the server PC. ... It is *NOT* a valid test to call the SSH server PC from another ...