Re: Anyone used Solaris Secure Shell, Sun's productized ssh for Solaris9?

From: Joerg Schilling (js@cs.tu-berlin.de)
Date: 02/08/02

    From: js@cs.tu-berlin.de (Joerg Schilling)
    Date: 8 Feb 2002 09:49:38 GMT

    In article <a3von0$1555$2@agate.berkeley.edu>,
    Akop Pogosian <akopps+usenet@ocf.berkeley.edu> wrote:

    >>>which is why you either use newer versions of rdist, or invoke
    >>>ssh more directly for ufsdump/ufsrestore, and use dd for the pipe, etc.
    >
    >> This makes you backup slow and wears out the tapes because of frequent
    >> tape repositioning -> unreliable backups.
    >
    >By the way, this problem exists even when doing backups over rsh when
    >doing incremental backups of file systems where only a small portion
    >of files has changed and data can't be sent fast enough to keep the
    >tape streaming. I wish ufsdump had a mechanism for buffering data on a
    >disk on the tape server and then writing it in large chunks to reduce
    >the tape drive wearing because of using ssh or slow incremental
    >backups.

    With star you can do this:

            star bs=256k fs=128m f=ntape@somehost:/dev/rmt/0cbn ....

    It will give you a tape buffer size of 256kB and a 128MB buffer local to
    the star side of the connection.

    128 MB of FIFO is no problem for a machine with 256+ MB of ram and
    gives you additional 10+ seconds for a DLT drive.

    As there is a major limitation for speed by the network connection,
    a buffer on the remote tape host will not help much more.

    >From my experiences, the tape usually streams for many minutes if you
    use star to create your backup.

          schilling@fokus.gmd.de		(work) chars I am J"org Schilling

    Relevant Pages

    • Re: Backup question
      ... Tapes are a good solution if you do a *lot* of backups - the cost per GB ... If you are willing to buy tape drives from eBay and the like, though, ...
      (alt.computer.security)
    • Re: Backup Strategy
      ... I will use norton ghost to take images of the two servers. ... backups took off site monthly. ... > probably buy 4 large external HDD for the price of one quality tape drive. ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: Goodbye MMPBs
      ... Try that with your Kindle. ... you drop it in the toilet and it's gone. ... I've *never* lost backups because the technology suddently, ... Onstream and ran out of 64K sectors on the tape. ...
      (rec.arts.sf.written)
    • Re: Resilient VMS server config
      ... > not require huge amounts of disk space. ... > volumes provided by the SAN. ... There is NO loss of availablity** Do online backups of your database to a backup ... Maintenance stuff - like doing the actual backup to tape... ...
      (comp.os.vms)
    • Re: Backup solution question
      ... Tape is my preferred method, ... We usually spec three of these devices at 3x the available server ... We do full backups every night, ... >> enclosures are a low cost way of rotating Hard drives to provide ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)