Re: Anyone used Solaris Secure Shell, Sun's productized ssh for Solaris9?

From: Joerg Schilling (js@cs.tu-berlin.de)
Date: 02/06/02

From: js@cs.tu-berlin.de (Joerg Schilling)
Date: 6 Feb 2002 16:14:23 GMT

In article <a3rgod$24ec$1@agate.berkeley.edu>,
Alan Coopersmith <alanc@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU> wrote:
>"Nico Kadel-Garcia" <nkadel@bellatlantic.net> writes in comp.unix.solaris:
>|> If you turn off rsh, then you will no more able to do remote tape
>|> backups!
>|
>|Nonsense. "rm -f /usr/bin/rsh; ln -s /usr/local/bin/ssh /usr/bin/rsh" works
>|quite well to provide a much more secure transfer mechanism.
>
>Actually, for ufsdump it does nothing. To get ufsdump to use ssh you
>need to provide a ssh-enabled version of rcmd() - I know of at least one
>site that's done this for internal use using the Solaris source code,
>and it might be possible to arrange it via LD_PRELOAD.

The same applies to "star". If you like a fast connection, you need to use
rcmd().

GNU tar is the only program I am aware of that uses rsh to establish a remote
connection. It is noticable slower on remote mode for this reason.

      schilling@fokus.gmd.de		(work) chars I am J"org Schilling

Relevant Pages

  • Re: waitFor and return (very strange)
    ... > rsh started by command line or java.Must i set an hide variable? ... treated differently by the remote shell. ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: Sun LDAP Deployment
    ... However when using rsh to login to a remote ... You're prompted for a password when you rsh from a user account or root? ... DeeDee, don't press that button! ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Re: ufsdump on remote device
    ... >> I am trying to make a ufsdump on remote device, ... when i tape rsh remotehostname it ask me for the password ... > in a remote system. ... Suppose system A (tape drive host) is the target ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Re: output of rsh commands
    ... > Following is extracted from the rsh man page: ... > The following command: ... > always goto remote machine. ... stay on your local machine, don't pipe it to rsh to send to the remote ...
    (comp.unix.shell)
  • ssh command behavior
    ... My application runs on Solaris and its ... which in turn started a process via rsh on the remote Solaris server. ... Now, I thought I can just simply replace the rsh with ssh, I supposed ...
    (SSH)