Re: scp vs. sftp vs ftp

From: Dan Baker (dan@nospam_dtbakerprojects.com)
Date: 02/05/02

From: Dan Baker <dan@nospam_dtbakerprojects.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 03:17:28 GMT

Richard Silverman wrote:
> Bob> What is the difference between scp and sftp?
---------

ok... this brings up a question I've been meaning to ask as a total
newbie to SSH and its implications...

is transferring files via scp more secure only with respect to the
actual contents of the files being transferred,
OR,
is it more secure in any way with respect to hackers being able to get
into a server set up to only allow scp access and not ftp?

I ask because I have one client with a host that does not allow ftp
access, and insists on scp file transfers. I am wndering if it is
actually any more secure with regard to the server, or just protecting
the data in transit.

thanx,

Dan

Relevant Pages

  • Re: scp vs. sftp vs ftp
    ... >newbie to SSH and its implications... ... >is transferring files via scp more secure only with respect to the ... >I ask because I have one client with a host that does not allow ftp ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: [SLE] How to allow ftp and telnet
    ... access with ftp any of my files from his remote location. ... Instead use ssh and scp. ... the machine and scp to copy files in a secure manner. ... ftp and telnet are -not- secure and could result in your machine being ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: A tool I am working on for people like you.
    ... If it's not secure you're doing it wrong. ... there's atleast 2 types of secure FTP ... You can use another method like SCP for upload, ... John Devereux ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: securing communication channel (FTP) - Need Suggestions
    ... You would take a look over scp. ... Suppose you need to copy foo.txt from server "cancun" to server "acapulco" ... using "jsmith" user credentials (note about user credentials: ... rsync is not secure by itself but can be easily ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: FTP bash script wanted
    ... > less secure than scp or fpt or whatever? ... > dump file. ... If you can use scp or sftp they would certainly be more secure, ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)