Re: scp vs. sftp vs ftp

From: Dan Baker (dan@nospam_dtbakerprojects.com)
Date: 02/05/02

From: Dan Baker <dan@nospam_dtbakerprojects.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 03:17:28 GMT

Richard Silverman wrote:
> Bob> What is the difference between scp and sftp?
---------

ok... this brings up a question I've been meaning to ask as a total
newbie to SSH and its implications...

is transferring files via scp more secure only with respect to the
actual contents of the files being transferred,
OR,
is it more secure in any way with respect to hackers being able to get
into a server set up to only allow scp access and not ftp?

I ask because I have one client with a host that does not allow ftp
access, and insists on scp file transfers. I am wndering if it is
actually any more secure with regard to the server, or just protecting
the data in transit.

thanx,

Dan