Re: sshd [871] random session key or cracked?

From: stor-sten (private@private.com)
Date: 01/26/02

    From: private@private.com (stor-sten)
    Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 04:25:56 GMT

    correct, it is regenerating the key it provides to new connections.

    the 'did not receive identification string' is MOST likely one of two
    things:

    1) someone telnet'ed to port 22 on your host and then disconnected without
    sending any data.

    2) some script kidding flew by with a root-kit-exploit-in-a-box port
    scanner trying to look for UseLogin=Yes OpenSSH <v3.x hosts on which to
    install his l33t r00tk1t. :P

    paranoid rhetoric aside, neither is anything to worry about, likely.

    If you're really worried, I suggest installing snort and/or updating your
    sshd, and/or installing ipfilters/chains/tables to block incoming access to
    known IPs

    stor

    Relevant Pages

    • Re: sshd [871] random session key or cracked?
      ... it is regenerating the key it provides to new connections. ... the 'did not receive identification string' is MOST likely one of two ... someone telnet'ed to port 22 on your host and then disconnected without ... I suggest installing snort and/or updating your ...
      (comp.security.unix)
    • Re: HTTP & FPSE
      ... requirements - FPSE installed & HTTP Upload. ... you can't even attempt to begin the upload, ... "Installing or Reinstalling FrontPage Extensions ... Search under support at your host for "front" or FPSE or FrontPage and you ...
      (microsoft.public.publisher.webdesign)
    • Re: Unable to successfully setu p and use .Remote Desktop Connecti
      ... I continue to avoid installing SPII. ... > for remote access. ... > It should be the username and password for the account on the WinXP Pro ... >> the computer might be too busy to accept new accept connections. ...
    • Error building DBD::Informix - informix.xsi
      ... *** Installing dependencies... ... Configuring IBM Informix Database Driver for Perl Version 2003.04 ... Enter xlc for list of valid options. ... You're using shared memory connections for both databases. ...
      (perl.dbi.users)
    • Re: How difficult is a dishwasher installation?
      ... installing a new dishwasher using the existing connections a DIY ... If you can handle those jobs, you can handle the dishwasher. ... I have this zone in-between what I can see without glasses, and what I can see with the reading glasses, and the stuff I need to work on always seems to fall in that range. ...
      (alt.home.repair)