Making OpenSSH listen to external interfaces

From: Daniel Seifert (hot@hotmail.com)
Date: 01/09/02

From: "Daniel Seifert" <hot@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 17:45:30 +0100

Hi everybody,

I have a question concerning the OpenSSH daemon.
I have installed it on an i386, OpenBSD 3.0 server with two netdevices:
external & internal network interface (i.e. EXT_IF and INT_IF)

I run /usr/sbin/sshd and wait for incoming connections.
Whenever a local connection arives, sshd answers correctly and everything
works fine.

But connections from the Internet get lost somewhere (neither sshd -d nor
the logs show any connection attempts).

It's not the firewall. The packets actually get processed. (I checked that
by disabling the firewall & tcpdumping)
They just don't seem to be answered by sshd.

Are there any options I have to enable/disable ?

Thanks for help
Daniel

Relevant Pages

  • Mysterious SSH disconnects
    ... So I use this script: http://wiki.tcl.tk/9411 to create a connection via the proxy to my sshd on port 443 at home. ... As the other connections are ssh-wrapped all the way to the sshd, this is the only place the problem can really be isolated. ... I upgraded my versions of sshd on both the server and my laptop who's usually the client. ...
    (SSH)
  • Re: ssh under attack - sessions in accepted state hogging CPU
    ... my box is getting pegged because sshd is accepting some ... connections which are getting stuck in state and eating CPU. ... I know there's not much I can do about the brute force attacks, ... I did have MaxSessions set to a small number, but that essentially DoS'd my access to the server when enough sshd processes got hung. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Securing my Linux-pc? Worried....hacked?
    ... Subject: LogWatch for localhost.localdomain ... Connections: ... Starting sshd: ... rejecting connections on daemon MTA: load average: 14 ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: OpenSSH - Dictionary Attacks
    ... > I am currently looking for a good / reliable solution that I could use ... > to implement a way in which we could drop connections that are ... firewall rule or, if sshd was built with tcpwrappers, hosts.deny. ... Good judgement comes with experience. ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: sshd with zombie process on FreeBSD 10.0-STABLE - workaround
    ... sshd processes. ... No associated socket with zombie process. ... I do not understand why these connections are remaining ...
    (freebsd-stable)