Re: Why does ssh drop connections more than telnet?

From: Todd H. (comphelp@toddh.net)
Date: 12/20/01

From: comphelp@toddh.net (Todd H.)
Date: 20 Dec 2001 15:18:30 -0600

Ric Anderson <ric@opus1.com> writes:
> I experience more service drops from ssh connecting from ssh.com's
> v3.01 Windows 2000 client to a v3 Sparc/Solaris Server than I do
> from telnet by a large margin.
>
> For a simple test, I set up a telnet and an ssh session, both
> running top on the same host, with a refresh of 1 second. When
> a net hiccup occurred, both screens froze, but telnet came back
> to life about at the point that Windows ssh put up the "network
> connection lost" dialog. This happened 3 times in a two hour
> period. I can also see (vie the "w" command) the Solaris processes
> associated with the terminated Windows session well after the
> Windows side has thrown in the towel.
>
> Is there any way to make ssh (Windows client to Solaris server)
> more immune to network glitches, so that it recovers like
> telnet instead of giving up?

I don't have an answer for you, but I use SecureCRT to a linux ssh1
server through a socks4 firewall and get dropped regularly. It'
annoying. This has little to do with keepalives (which I do have
enabled), because most of the time the drop occurs in the middle of my
typing in a session. I haven't correlated it to anything. I don't
know why ssh seems relatively prone to this at least in my
environment.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

Relevant Pages

  • RE: Commentary on the seven words
    ... When I was an operating systems programmer we all too often forgot that the Operating system existed to support the application, not the other way around. ... A Because the application that we run uses a telnet client that doesn't support ssh - and that's why I can't run ssh on this system. ... I administrate one system that has 128 clients on it and it's ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: Commentary on the seven words
    ... A Because the application that we run uses a telnet client that doesn't ... support ssh - and that's why I can't run ssh on this system. ... General Red Hat Linux discussion list ... >operating system and utility advice and assistance and there are SEVEN ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: Telnet Pbl
    ... > I have a little logical problem with telnet. ... I have a windows box ... To do this I login to the redhat box from ... it's less convenient than ssh. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Remote Access Test (Help Needed)
    ... The telnet test can be performed using either Windows or Linux/Unix ... SSH and remote login are tricky from Windows unless you have ... For SSH: 22 ...
    (uk.comp.os.linux)
  • Re: HELP: how to enable telnet?
    ... >> Just some questions about telnet. ... I just installed FreeBSD. ... Then how can I get SSH working? ... later I want to use Windows XP/2K3. ...
    (freebsd-newbies)