ssh and hosts.allow; purpose of ssh

From: sjfromm (sjfromm@starpower.net)
Date: 12/20/01

From: sjfromm@starpower.net (sjfromm)
Date: 20 Dec 2001 11:45:28 -0800

My sysadmin and I have gotten into a disgreement over how to set up
our system so that I can get in to my Solaris host from outside the
WAN at work.

He thinks that putting an entry into hosts.allow (this is for Solaris)
for ssh that allows in a lot of IPs is very dangerous. Is that right?
 If it were, what is the purpose of ssh? (He suggested I change DSL
providers to get a static IP. I said that that is ridiculous.)

sjfromm

Relevant Pages

  • Re: ssh and hosts.allow; purpose of ssh
    ... >My sysadmin and I have gotten into a disgreement over how to set up ... >our system so that I can get in to my Solaris host from outside the ... Even ssh has security holes. ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: ssh and hosts.allow; purpose of ssh
    ... the hosts.allow (tcp wrapper) can't limit users from a ... > our system so that I can get in to my Solaris host from outside the ... > for ssh that allows in a lot of IPs is very dangerous. ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: sftp script for application promotion
    ... script on a Solaris host, which can read input from a paramter file, ... You can create a shell script ... and execute that on the remote machine via ssh ... 'sparrow' using ssh with no password. ...
    (comp.sys.sun.admin)
  • SSH problems
    ... Cannot ssh a solaris host. ... the error message is: ... ssh: connect to host 10.165.100.230 port 22: Connection refused ...
    (SunManagers)