Password auth <= 8 chars ?

From: Miklos Magyari (miklos.magyari@eth.ericsson.se)
Date: 12/17/01

From: Miklos Magyari <miklos.magyari@eth.ericsson.se>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 11:48:16 +0100

hi,

i've installed OpenSSH and have a problem with password authentication.
If all the other methods fail, ssh performs a password authentication
(I've enabled this feature). Though, as I observed, only the first 8
characters of the password is checked (e.g if I have a 10-char pwd, the
last two characters are irrelevant; I can mistype them or simply ignore
them, the authentication is successful).

any ideas resolving this issue?

thanks,
Miki

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Password auth <= 8 chars ?
    ... ]i've installed OpenSSH and have a problem with password authentication. ... ]characters of the password is checked (e.g if I have a 10-char pwd, ... This has nothing to do with ssh. ... It is a "feature" of the traditional ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • sftp in batch mode without psssword prompt
    ... I would like to use (SSH) ftp from a solaris 2.9 box to another solaris ... Is there a more regular way of using password authentication with sftp. ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: password aging with sftp
    ... > This version recognizes password aging when the aging is implemented in ... not ssh keys) they will get prompted ... Is there a way to get sftp to issue the same prompt to change the ... As it stands, with password authentication, no. ...
    (SSH)
  • Re: [opensuse] Results of moving ssh to a high port - Zero script kiddies in a 24 hour period.
    ... On Friday 28 November 2008 20:19:15 James Knott wrote: ... to identify that the port is open for ssh and taking security of it ... And I asked how to turn off password authentication. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: OT: Security....
    ... Don't use port 22. ... Disable password authentication and use RSA, ... If you only need SSH access from specific locations, ...
    (Fedora)