Re: Upgrading to openssh-3.0.2p1-1.3mdk.i586.rpm displays auth passphrase request

From: Nico Kadel-Garcia (nkadel@bellatlantic.net)
Date: 12/17/01

    From: "Nico Kadel-Garcia" <nkadel@bellatlantic.net>
    Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 05:15:45 GMT

    <gctaylor@eskimo.com> wrote in message news:9vjsku$2g8$0@216.39.170.123...
    > Hi,
    >

    > With openssh I was at 2.3.0p1-7.1mdk and I upgraded to
    > 3.0.2pl-1.3mdk. It now brings up a GUI (askpass?) dialog box to
    > enter my passphrase every time I make an SSH connection. I've
    > been using keychain with 2.3.0p1-7.1mdk
    > (http://www.gentoo.org/projects/keychain/) so my passphrase
    > didn't have to be entered every time I made a ssh connection.
    > This was especially useful for running fetchmail in daemon mode.
    >
    > The packages I upgraded are
    >
    > openssh-3.0.2p1-1.3mdk.i586.rpm
    > openssh-askpass-3.0.2p1-1.3mdk.i586.rpm
    > openssh-clients-3.0.2p1-1.3mdk.i586.rpm
    > openssh-server-3.0.2p1-1.3mdk.i586.rpm
    >
    > I know the askpass package is repsonsible for the prompt but I
    > don't know why this behavior changed after the upgrade other than
    > it has something to do with UseLogin(?) and SSHASK_PASS. I
    > looked at my environment variables and as far as I can tell
    > SSHASK_PASS is not set. I don't see SSHASK_PASS in the
    > ssh[?]_config files either. In desparation I did set and export
    > SSHASK_PASS=no and UseLogin no to see if that would help.
    >
    > I've also gathered that this is a FAQ in this group and I apologize
    > for bringing it up again, but I couldn't find my answer.

    There is a recent CERT warning about UseLogin with certain OS's, such as
    Solaris, that use a SysV based /bin/login. This doesn't seem to apply to
    Linux, but one may want to be aware of it.

    I find askpass to be a pain in the neck. Is there any reason not to simply
    delete the RPM?

    And is the askpass happening when you log in at the X windows console, which
    would indicate something in your windows setup was calling it? Or is it only
    when you make an SSH connection from your terminal windows? Or what?

    Relevant Pages