Re: Which is more secure: wireless connection versus ethernet?

On 2011-12-13, Barry Margolin <barmar@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
In article <0BBFq.481$SP1.157@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
"Thor Kottelin" <thor@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

"A. Deguza" <deguza@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:23888bc9-90e9-4a63-b391-68dfee867d38@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

A friend told ne that I do have to worry about security on modern wi-
fi.

Vulnerabilities in WLAN technology have been found over the years.
Similarly, what is now considered modern may become obsolete as research
continues. If you use Ethernet rather than a WLAN, someone may be able to
sniff your traffic off the wire instead, but this may be easier to prevent
and detect.

Wouldn't they need physical access to your home to sniff the Ethernet?

Nope. If you are cable, then apparently your traffic is open to anyone
else on that cable as well. One of the advantages, I suppose, of ADSL
over cable. (Here in vancouver, bad service seems to be another
"advantage" of ADSL).

  • Re: Which is more secure: wireless connection versus ethernet?
    ... Vulnerabilities in WLAN technology have been found over the years. ... Wouldn't they need physical access to your home to sniff the Ethernet? ... One of the advantages, I suppose, of ADSL ... which is the same regardless of which LAN technology you ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: Which is more secure: wireless connection versus ethernet?
    ... Vulnerabilities in WLAN technology have been found over the years. ... what is now considered modern may become obsolete as research ... Wouldn't they need physical access to your home to sniff the Ethernet? ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: IP Address
    ... The ADSL router is a make is Mecer and model is ... network with 10/100 Base-T Ethernet. ... ATM Forum UNI 3.1/4.0 PVC ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.setup)
  • Re: [SLE] ADSL Modems
    ... I purchased a cheapo connexant based ADSL ethernet modem. ... Internet and running a treat. ... My ethernet modem/router was around 40 quid from a UK company and i ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: any net-workers......?
    ... then i want to have the second one have access to the internet via the original,, this can be ... I have ADSL, and my setup looks like this. ... Ethernet Ethernet ... For the higher speed modem cases, you don't have to use a router. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)