Re: All browsers have open TCP connections to 1e100.net?

In comp.security.misc Noop <questioner_x@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi all,

I keep finding that browsers are accessing 1e100.net
in the background. Often there are 5 or 10 open connections
to servers at that domain. This is true of Firefox, Safari, and
Opera.

People say this is something to do with safe browsing,
so in Firefox I went to alt:config and disabled "safe browsing" and
set all URLs to do with safe browsing to a bogus domain, yet
these connections are still being made.

So if 1e100.net connections are nothing to do with
safe browsing, what are they? Are they tracking web
accesses illegally? They are something to do with MarkMonitor
which seems to be about DRM.

Anybody here know?

Yeah, lots of people know by doing a Google search for 1e100.net connections.

And BTW 1e100.net is Google.

For extra points, what does the word "google" mean?

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.