Re: Preventing Software Piracy ???

Peter Olcott wrote:

If a system can be devised that is uncrackable (like rockey6 may be) this is moot.

If they have physical access to the hardware it is crackable by means other than brute force.

life of the product?

However long graphical user interfaces are the norm, in other words very long.

There should be significant resistance to copy protection because the product is likely to die prematurely. Dongles might be slightly better than keys in the code, but they are still relying on your company staying in business and interested in the product, neither of which is common in the real world.

  • Re: Dell BIOS DoS
    ... >> the hardware. ... but that without the appropriate keys you ... has physical access to the device holding your data, ... The maxim then becomes "There is no such as security from someone who ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • Re: XP password
    ... Either run a brute force cracker against it or ... >extract the sam and the registry, a brute force crack on these will ... But there is no uncrackable password, ... We all know about the physical access thing. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Server crash
    ... I don't have physical access to the ... location, consider checking carefully the CPU fan, and maybe at boot time ... maybe some new hardware is causing the crashes. ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)
  • Re: OT: Make a limited XP account without losing settings?
    ... moot. ... The Microsoft menus and help, as unsual, make little or no ... New hardware has been found ... Device: Airbus 310 ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: Getting Linux to detect keyloggers?
    ... Sorry I can't be more positive, but I doubt that no matter what you ... practically do to a system's hardware or software, physical access to ... maintain your important critical information only on it. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)