Re: Salt size

Kless <jonas.esp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

To get a hashed password, using SHA-256 algorithm.

Again for what? ARe you designing a system? Is this a system in use?

The purpose of the salt is to prevent the attacker from launching a
predetermined dictionary attack. Thus they could precompute the SHA has of
a huge dictionary and compare to the hashed password. If you have salted
it, they would need to precalculate n times as large a database where n is
the number of salts. If y ou are designing the thing, then it is up to you
to decide what value of n is big enough.
128 bits means that n is 2^128=10^40 .