Re: Out of the Pond

"Walter Roberson" <roberson@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:c3j8i.255577$6m4.14092@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Running the computer systems can call for a lot of creativity --
coming up with ways to minimize risk and minimize downtime,

Oh, I absolutely agree with you. Creativity is a key part of any knowledge
worker's job. And although developers may sometimes look down on operations
types as drones, the job, as you point out, can take more creativity.

But among computer guys, especially developers, claims about how creative
pursuits are different and need different resources is another way of saying
"don't expect me to produce anything useful". OK, they don't MEAN to say
that, but that is how it is read.

I don't doubt that OP's role requires creativity, but when someone harps on
the creativity required, and how the corporation doesn't permit it, that is
usually a signal that he doesn't understand what the job is supposed to
entail.

  • Re: The design is the code?
    ... If the code is the design then, no, there is ... > for the dev's and thout shalt not do anything not in the spec commandment. ... Developers need room to be creative, ... > a spec writer or architect takes that creativity away you will loose ...
    (comp.object)
  • Re: systems programming versus application programming
    ... >IMO the core reason for that failure rate is that software developers do ... They are too absorbed in the Cult of Creativity to do ... These were the basic skills you needed in order to write a line of ...
    (comp.object)
  • Re: Where Do Ideas Come From - Creativity or Synthesisity?
    ... risk aversion - or fear of failure. ... (I'll drop synthesis - innovation carries the same idea). ... chisel racks for example. ... on what's learned from them can encourage creativity / ...
    (rec.woodworking)
  • Re: Starbucks War with Its (Unofficial) Union
    ... One of the great things about this country is that if you don't like ... Or bitch because the guy that did is rewarded for his creativity and ... Bernie pointed out that he'd theoretically "risk" $150,000 to start up a business. ... If you can tell me how a Peet's worker is going to be able to come up with $150,000 to "risk", I'll agree that unhappy Peet's worker has two choices. ...
    (alt.coffee)
  • Re: Element of Risk
    ... the IJA organization) reward taking aesthetic risks. ... too bad, and that juggling, particularly in the United States suffers ... but mostly you're right that risk isn't defined ... do try to reward creativity though ("creativity" is a category that ...
    (rec.juggling)