Re: Host File Question

On Mar 1, 6:47 pm, "Bgreer5050" <bgreer5...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Is there a way to use wild cards with the host file? I want to use the host
file to prevent internet access by having the user automatically directed to
a specific internal ip address no matter what url he puts in.

Thanks

No, you cannot add wildcards to the Hosts File, as it blocks sites by
specific domain. However, you CAN use wildcards with a PAC file,
which can be used in cooperation with your Hosts file. For example,
on my system, I use the MVPS Hosts File and the BlockAdverts (merged
with MVPS). I then use eDexter which has a PAC file that can be
edited and wildcards added. If you look at the PAC file in Notepad,
it looks almost identical to the Adblock file (used with Firefox). It
is really effective and blocks almost all of the gargabe out there.
You can read about the eDexter program and download the program (very
small) at: http://www.pyrenean.com/edexter.php
I have used this combination for a long time and is a good way to have
all your bases covered.

  • Re: Host File Question
    ... No, you cannot add wildcards to the Hosts File, as it blocks sites ... I then use eDexter which has a PAC file that can be ... As for the hosts file idea, if I am an idiot, so be it, as it ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: Help, sporadic internet access
    ... I log on and when daughter #1 wants to use ... >>internet access, but all the bad stuff was back on the ... I undid the system restore and then no one ... >Block possibly dangerous websites with a Hosts file. ...
  • Disable internet access without disabling intranet access in I.E. 6
    ... The computers in my workplace ... I need to disable INTERNET ACCESS to a computer without ... disabling INTRANET Access. ... The Internet Explorer uses a pac file to filter internet websites, ...
  • Re: Disable internet access without disabling intranet access in I.E. 6
    ... I need to disable INTERNET ACCESS to a computer without ... disabling INTRANET Access. ... The Internet Explorer uses a pac file to filter internet websites, ...
  • Re: login delay without Internet
    ... it had to do with my hosts file. ... If I login on, ... Internet access, the process takes a few minutes, considerably longer than ... chet nichols III ...
    (RedHat)