old email from early 80s mentioning public key

To: wheeler
Date: 05/06/81 13:45:20

5. Security - VNET does not change this. ie Security can be breached
with or without VNET. The favorate IBM watering hole is far less
secure than VM/370 or VNET. eg There are NO read, write, or multi-write
passwords on any mini-disk that I might have confidential info on.
Yes, I know about global passwords, but I also know who has them and
why. ( total of 4 individuals here including myself ).

6. Definite need for Crypt using public and private keys. Sender uses
public key of individual which requires private key of individual to
unlock. This solves the problem of unauthorized persons gaining
access to unread mail files.

.... snip ...

little drift, internal network (VNET) was larger than arpanet/internet
until sometime mid-85
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subnetwork.html#internalnet

misc. other old email mentioning public key
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/lhwemail.html#publickey

including using CJNTEL on the internal network for public
key server ... recent post
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006w.html#12 more secure communication over the network

other old email mentioning CJNTEL
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/lhwemail.html#cjntel

past collected posts mentioning certificateless public key
distribution
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subpubkey.html#certless
.