Re: SSL -> TLS

Lassi Hippeläinen <lahippel.at.ieee.org@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
TLS 1.0 is something like SSL 3.1 with a new name. The new name was
given when SSL became a proposed Internet standard.
AFAIK it went the other way. TLS 1.0 is based on SSL 3.0, but is a little
different. Netscape decided to call it SSL 3.1.

From RFC 2246:

| 3. Goals of this document
| This document and the TLS protocol itself are based on the SSL 3.0
| Protocol Specification as published by Netscape. The differences
| between this protocol and SSL 3.0 are not dramatic, but they are
| significant enough that TLS 1.0 and SSL 3.0 do not interoperate
| (although TLS 1.0 does incorporate a mechanism by which a TLS
| implementation can back down to SSL 3.0).
| 6.2.1. Fragmentation
| version
| The version of the protocol being employed. This document
| describes TLS Version 1.0, which uses the version { 3, 1 }. The
| version value 3.1 is historical: TLS version 1.0 is a minor
| modification to the SSL 3.0 protocol, which bears the version
| value 3.0.

I don't now, if you're right or not ;-)

Yours,
VB.
--
Wenn Du "Ich sehe die Mathematik als einzigen Bereich an, wo es klare
Beweise gibt." und "Ich fuehle mich in einem Anzug unwohl." als Aussagen

  • SSL workings
    ... Secure Sockets Layer or SSL is a protocol designed by Netscape ... develop Transport Layer Security or TLS, ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: What version of SSL in 5.0 Web Server
    ... the registry keys have SSL 3.0 client/Sever Enabled and TLS ... CE 5.0 specifies that the web server supports SSL, ... used by the Web) and the networking protocol TCP/IP. ...
  • Re: What version of SSL in 5.0 Web Server
    ... I rebooted the device so the Web server is ... SSL in Firefox so that only TLS is running. ... data security between application protocols such as HTTP (the protocol ...
  • What version of SSL in 5.0 Web Server
    ... I must admit I am quite confused on the issue of SSL and TLS ... CE 5.0 specifies that the web server supports SSL, ... used by the Web) and the networking protocol TCP/IP. ...