Re: [OT] Silly (copyright?) claim by "Galen".

From: John Navas (spamfilter0_at_navasgroup.com)
Date: 11/29/05

    Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 05:42:22 GMT

    [POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <barmar-FA69A4.23044728112005@comcast.dca.giganews.com> on Mon, 28 Nov 2005
    23:04:47 -0500, Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> wrote:

    >In article <#8QDYJo7FHA.1420@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>,
    > "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Well, interesting views I suppose but according to all the information I was
    >> able to gather on the subject of copyright I'm well within any legal rights
    >> to make any claims or limits I'd like if I so choose? I'm not a lawyer but
    >> there's a nice page here on the subject:
    >
    >You can make all the claims and limits you want, but I don't see how you
    >expect anyone to conform to them. Usenet is a totally automated system,
    >the servers can't understand what's written in your signature. You post
    >a message, it gets sent automatically to every server that subscribes to
    >the groups you listed.

    That defense hasn't worked for the filesharing folks.

    >Google's servers are not special in any way, and
    >their web site is just a GUI gateway to their news servers.

    Archiving and searching make Google considerably different from conventional
    news servers.

    --
    Best regards,        FAQ FOR CINGULAR WIRELESS
    John Navas           <http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Cingular_Wireless_FAQ>

    • Re: Error on Samsung?
      ... Well, I've been unable to receive any Usenet messages, with Netscape ... But You're talking about ISP problems? ... Google groups do also appear in European groups. ... Here in Europe there's no need for Google, as the local news servers ...
      (comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage)
    • Re: [OT] Silly (copyright?) claim by "Galen".
      ... Including being purchased by libraries. ... through all news servers except those operated by Giganews". ... "work" to be published throughout the Usenet system. ... It is not true, as some have asserted, that Usenet posts enter the ...
      (comp.security.misc)
    • Re: bounced mail
      ... Usenet servers are constantly increasing their storage space and ... bandwidth. ... provider could be re-purposing equipment or simply failing to replace ... People still use ISP-based news servers. ...
      (rec.food.cooking)
    • Re: Missing post
      ... the news servers that I have used the most have been EarthLink's going from inhouse to later outsourced to Supernews and then later and presently Giganews and which giga I still also access in the form of the mozilla.org news server and occasionally something binary as EL's access. ... IMO abusive/undesirable usenet messages should be properly characterized and defined rather than alluded to with fuzzy thinking. ... Usenet spam should be defined in terms of its 'intent' such as whether it is trying to generate monetary gain by hits to a website or promote some political agenda. ... People get unhappy about something that is posted to usenet and want the admin of the account to 'do something' while most admins believe that usenet is a wild and woolly place that abides a lot of freedom to say something offensive. ...
      (news.software.readers)
    • Re: Comcast News Server Problems?
      ... You know, now that you mention giganews, when I was on Comcast, ... they changed from their own internal news servers to giganews. ... Most of them don't even know what usenet is. ... "Patriotism means to stand by the country. ...
      (rec.roller-coaster)