Re: Advice needed to install a registry and dll file.

From: Alun Jones (alun_at_texis.invalid)
Date: 10/10/05

Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2005 16:03:52 -0700

<> wrote in message
> Can someone tell me:
> - Is it dangerous to install the registry file?

Anywhere from "possibly" to "definitely".

> - How can I make sure the dll file isn't a virus?

You can't.

So, the question now comes - what do you know about the person or
organisation providing the fix?

Is it a recognised provider of consistently reliable fixes, or a
fly-by-night hackish individual with no reputation?

The best place to get patches, of course, is usually the place where you got
the original software - although with incursions at many public distribution
points in the past, that might not be such a safe assumption.

The worst place to get patches is from random individuals with no
reputation. You have no idea what you're getting into.

As a user with admittedly little knowledge, you need to work purely on the
basis of trust.

Do you have a reason to trust this patch? Have others used it successfully?
Does it even do what it claims to do?

Note that I'm not saying the patch is dangerous - it could be that this is
exactly what you need. There are lots of really nice people on the
Internet - it's just that the really bad people are the ones getting all the
press. Unfortunately, it takes just one bad person to infect your system.

Gauge your level of risk - make up some numbers of how much you trust the
provider, what chance you think there is that the provider might have a
motive to provide you with an unsafe patch, and then compare that against
how useful your software is without the patch, or with the patch.

Relevant Pages

  • [RFD] Explicitly documenting patch submission
    ... good the patch is. ... the _chain_ is actually mostly more important ... and that's the part I trust. ... So what I'm suggesting is that we start "signing off" on patches, ...
  • Windows xp for home slow to boot up
    ... properties and try a rollback on the drivers for your ... Don't trust Microsoft for those. ... After the patch was applied the system now ...
  • Re: 1.12? Breaking News...
    ... Can I ask you the source if this patch? ... Not that I don't trust you, ... is first mirror for EU patches I have seen. ... "When you try to change a mans paradigm, you must keep in mind that he ...
  • windows xp patches
    ... your old provider did nothing to ... >patch,, enjoy,, with an attachment. ... >of cancelling old e-mail provider with new e-mail ... >caught what they said was a virus and quarantined it. ...