Re: Can Known Hardware ID Make You Discoverable?

From: Jeff Liebermann (jeffl_at_comix.santa-cruz.ca.us)
Date: 08/14/05

Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 10:48:04 -0700

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 10:46:04 GMT, David Taylor <djtaylor@bigfoot.com>
wrote:

>> OP> 1. Does this mean the government fascists can find me anywhere in the
>> OP> world if they know this hardware address?
>>
>> I.e. I *think* that he wants to know if the known MAC address can be
>> used to track him when he is *not* connected to the universities
>> network. I.e. he is "anywhere in the world".

>They'll find him by just tracking his mobile phone instead. :)
>David.

There are services which claim to be able to find stolen laptops
anywhere using their software "tags" or "tracer". It would not take
much to install something like this on the culprits computer. See:
  http://www.ztrace.com
  http://www.computrace.com
  http://www.trackion.com
  http://www.absolute.com
  http://www.sentryinc.com
Their overall degree of accuracy in locating stolen laptops seems
quite good. Who needs big brother when private enterprise can do it
better.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com