Re: VOIP over Wi-Fi subject to eavesdropping?

From: Unruh (unruh-spam_at_physics.ubc.ca)
Date: 08/04/05

Date: 4 Aug 2005 08:10:08 GMT

floyd@apaflo.com (Floyd L. Davidson) writes:

>"Steve" <billpritjr@spamhole.com> wrote:
>>I use VOIP (Voicepulse) over my laptop while on the road, connected via
>>Wi-Fi hotspots.
>>
>>My question- Are my phone conversations secure over these connections?
>>I am talking for "all practical purposes", absent CIA or KGB with
>>advanced technology.

>Let me explain 10 important things about telephones to you...
>which comes from 34 years, before retiring, in the telephone
>long distance business.

> 1) Do *not* *ever* say *anything* on a telephone that you cannot
> live with seeing on the front page of tomorrows local newspaper.

>(Items 2 through 9 have precisely the same words as item 1.)

Since long range microphones are possible and bugs, I guess you should
change this to " Never say anything ever anywhere [that you would not want
to live to see published...].
Or since your actions could be filmed anywhere, do not do anything....
Or, the best way to cope with the uncertainties of life is to die.

Not for most of us very helpful advice and certainly not an answer to his
question.

> 10) There is no such thing as a secure telephone connection,
> unless *you* provide the encryption at both ends.

Similarly.

IF your VOIP is is not encrypted then yes it could be "overheard".
If the wireless link from your laptop to the access point is not encrypted,
then yes, it could be overheard. I have no idea if VoicePulse encrypts the
stuff.